Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I make a backup copy of my XP Recovery Disk?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Lee42

Lee42

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:02 PM

My eMachine T5048 came with a Recovery Disk that I've had to reinstall XP (Media Center Edition) with it more than a few times over the past 3-1/2 years and it's become slightly scratched and dirty despite my meticulous efforts to keep it in pristine condition. I don't want to clean it for fear of adding more scratches. And now I worry that when the time comes to use it again if need be, it may not work for me and I'll be stuck with a dead computer and no OS to reinstall. I could prevent this if I could make a duplicate copy of my recovery disk to have as a backup in case the original ever fails me in the future.

I've already made many attempts to do this. I put the recovery disk in the drive, exited out of the install when it came up. Using Windows Explorer to see the contents on the disk, I highlighted everything, right-clicked and "copied", then created a folder on my hard drive and in that folder I "pasted" everything from the CD into it.

Then I took the recovery disk out, put a blank DVD in (the total size of everything from the disk is 1.4Gb's so a CD is too small) and tried to copy & paste from the hard drive to the DVD but I kept getting the same error window popping up telling me "Problem Copying" asking me to Retry, Skip, or Cancel. I tried over and over clicking the Retry button but it wouldn't copy anything over. Here's a screenshot of that error window: http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/5294/pr...opyingerror.jpg

And also, I clicked the Properties of the blank DVD and it showed 0 bytes used and 0 bytes free. Shouldn't it be showing 4.7Gb's free? Like if you click the Properties of a blank CD, it shows 0 bytes used and 702Mb's free. Here's a screenshot of that: http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4125/dv...owing0bytes.jpg

Could somebody please make sense of this and instruct me on how to accomplish this task? Thank you.

Edited by Lee42, 24 April 2010 - 11:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:53 PM

Try this free disk burning program Imgburn at http://www.imgburn.com

copy your recovery disk to your hard drive, then burn it back to a blank cd-r

This program is very easy to use.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:01 AM

copy your recovery disk to your hard drive, then burn it back to a blank cd-r

Thanx for your reply MrBruce. I don't know much at all about the ImgBurn program but I have played with it before when I burned .ISO files to CD when I was at one time experimenting with trying out different versions of Linux as an OS. I thought it was a program designed only for burning .iso files. And since the total size of everything on my recovery disk (1.4Gb's worth) is twice the capacity of a CD disk, would it compress the files or something like that? Should I try to use ImgBurn with a DVD instead?

Thank you for mentioning it, I will give it a try and see what happens. :thumbsup:

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:06 AM

Yes, use a DVD. :thumbsup:

How to copy a disc using ImgBurn
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:16 AM

Lee42,

If you look in your all programs, under Accessories, System Tools, or System Recovery there may be a section for burning recovery discs directly from the recovery partition without having to try and copy from a disc that may be damaged. Gateway and HP have this option available, eMachines and Gateway are related companies so take a look.

Dan

#6 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:38 AM

I had exactly the same problem you describe approx a year ago I also downloaded ImgBurn which is a great burning tool and which I often use for copying CD's DVD's, backups etc but found that the Nlite program at the link below was easier to use for just making a bootable installation disc. A thing I did prior to burning the CD was take my original scratched disc into the local PC World which charged me 2 tp put it through their machine which takes a few microns off of the face of said disc and thereby reducing the scratches to only the deepest. This process doesn't damage the info on your disc just makes it easier to read.
http://www.nliteos.com/download.html
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#7 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:53 PM

Yes, use a DVD. :thumbsup:

How to copy a disc using ImgBurn

Thanx keyboardNinja! I followed that link and the articles were very helpful. I learned how to use ImgBurn to Read the recovery disk and save it to my hard drive..then Write to a blank DVD. The first attempt didn't work out..nor many tries after that but I eventually got the burn to complete successfully!

So now I have what I think is a duplicate copy of my recovery disk but I wont know for certain if it works until I go to use it again. I think I might test it out by rebooting with it in the drive and if it loads up on startup, then it should be good. I'll just exit out of the install though. Thanx again! :flowers:

#8 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:01 AM

Thanx again MrBruce for mentioning the ImgBurn program. As I'm sure you read, I was able to use it to create a duplicate of my recovery disk. I can't wait to see if it's actually going to work!

#9 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:28 AM

If you look in your all programs, under Accessories, System Tools, or System Recovery there may be a section for burning recovery discs directly from the recovery partition without having to try and copy from a disc that may be damaged. Gateway and HP have this option available, eMachines and Gateway are related companies so take a look.

Thank you for your reply Dan. I looked where you pointed me to look but I didn't see a section in System Tools for burning a recovery disk. However, I did see in Start > All Programs > System Recovery that there were three choices in that menu of Application & Driver Recovery, Create my Drivers-Applications CD(s), and System Recovery. But there was no option to create a recovery disk unfortunately. Thanx again for taking the time to point that out for me though. :thumbsup:

#10 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:33 AM

A thing I did prior to burning the CD was take my original scratched disc into the local PC World which charged me 2 tp put it through their machine which takes a few microns off of the face of said disc and thereby reducing the scratches to only the deepest. This process doesn't damage the info on your disc just makes it easier to read.

Thank you bluesjunior for telling me that. I had no idea that could be done. I'll have to make some calls to the computer stores in my area to see if they do that sort of thing. If so, I'll definitely take my recovery disk to them to have that done! Thanx again. :thumbsup:

#11 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:20 AM

A thing I did prior to burning the CD was take my original scratched disc into the local PC World which charged me 2 tp put it through their machine which takes a few microns off of the face of said disc and thereby reducing the scratches to only the deepest. This process doesn't damage the info on your disc just makes it easier to read.

Thank you bluesjunior for telling me that. I had no idea that could be done. I'll have to make some calls to the computer stores in my area to see if they do that sort of thing. If so, I'll definitely take my recovery disk to them to have that done! Thanx again. :thumbsup:

here's another tip for you now that you have copied your disc. Follow the instructions in the link below which will add SP3 to your disc and save you a few hours of updating if you ever need to reinstall your OS. You can use ImgBurn or Nlite for this too.
http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-se...installation-cd

Edited by bluesjunior, 26 April 2010 - 04:24 AM.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#12 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:22 PM

Burn: Application & Driver Recovery, Create my Drivers-Applications CD(s), the System Recovery in this portion of the menu is to recover your computer without a disc. I have never used it and hope never to.

Dan

#13 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:36 AM

here's another tip for you now that you have copied your disc. Follow the instructions in the link below which will add SP3 to your disc and save you a few hours of updating if you ever need to reinstall your OS. You can use ImgBurn or Nlite for this too.

Thanx for sharing that link with me. That is one great article! I used nLite (1st time ever) this evening and followed the instructions to slipstream SP3. Whoever wrote that article was very thorough and thoughtful to write it for someone who's never done it before like me. I even followed the link to the article "Trim Down Windows to the Bare Essentials" http://lifehacker.com/374376/trim-down-win...bare-essentials which was very helpful. I learned how to use nLite to trim a lot of junk off to make a lighter, less bloated version of Windows XP.

But after a really long time going through the motions and setting up nLite, I got to the end where it started to process it all together, an unexpected error happened and the program closed (after I sent the error report to Microsoft). Here's the screenshot of that error: http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6869/nliteerror.jpg
So anyway, that time-consuming attempt was a total loss but I'll try again tomorrow evening and I'll let you know how it went.

I've already burned the duplicate recovery disk with ImgBurn. Isn't it too late to use nLite to slipstream SP3 into it? That's what I gathered from what you said above. Doesn't that need to be done with a blank DVD in the drive and start from scratch? I dunno...I'm new at this and I'm still trying to figure out how nLite and slipstreaming and ImgBurn works. Their all new to me so I'm just simply confused. Thanx again!

#14 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:41 AM

Burn: Application & Driver Recovery, Create my Drivers-Applications CD(s), the System Recovery in this portion of the menu is to recover your computer without a disc. I have never used it and hope never to.

Dan

I actually Created my Drivers-Applications CD which will be helpful when I need to reinstall them. The System Recovery part I've never used either and don't plan on it. If it even comes down to it, I'll just use the disk and do a complete reformat and reinstall. Thanx for your reply.

#15 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:07 AM

Thanx for sharing that link with me. That is one great article! I used nLite (1st time ever) this evening and followed the instructions to slipstream SP3. Whoever wrote that article was very thorough and thoughtful to write it for someone who's never done it before like me. I even followed the link to the article "Trim Down Windows to the Bare Essentials" http://lifehacker.com/374376/trim-down-win...bare-essentials which was very helpful. I learned how to use nLite to trim a lot of junk off to make a lighter, less bloated version of Windows XP.

But after a really long time going through the motions and setting up nLite, I got to the end where it started to process it all together, an unexpected error happened and the program closed (after I sent the error report to Microsoft). Here's the screenshot of that error: http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6869/nliteerror.jpg
So anyway, that time-consuming attempt was a total loss but I'll try again tomorrow evening and I'll let you know how it went.

I've already burned the duplicate recovery disk with ImgBurn. Isn't it too late to use nLite to slipstream SP3 into it? That's what I gathered from what you said above. Doesn't that need to be done with a blank DVD in the drive and start from scratch? I dunno...I'm new at this and I'm still trying to figure out how nLite and slipstreaming and ImgBurn works. Their all new to me so I'm just simply confused. Thanx again!

I'm not good enough to say what happened Lee42, maybe it was just a glitch and will work okay the next time you try. You can also slipstream using ImgBurn but as I remember with ImgBurn you needed to download a program called ISO grabber or somesuch to copy the image which makes the disc work. I preferred Nlite as it did this as a part of the program. When I posted last I assumed you had fixed your original problem and offered another option for future use. I meant that after you maybe got your scratched disc refaced locally it would be a good idea to have a slipstreamed SP3 installation disc in order to avoid 2-3 hours of Windows updates. Anyway good luck with it I am sure you will figure it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users