Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acronis Disk Clone Muffed my HD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jdbaker82

jdbaker82

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:30 PM

I was trying to clone a hard drive for a customer because the OS was very corrupted and I was going to reformat it so I tried to run Acronis Disk clone and clone the drive to a external HD it sat at 0% and never moved so i canceled the operation and now I cannot get windows to recognize the hard drive. I have tried to attack it VIA USB adapter to another machine and it just wont show up does anyone have any suggestions on anything I could do to access the data on the drive to back it up?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:32 PM

does it show up in disk management in windows?

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:34 AM

FWIW: I looked at your title...and fail to understand how Acronis Disk Clone can be blamed for a hard drive that had previously been known to have problems impacting functionality.

Recovery software may work, various programs available for a recovery effort.

Data recovery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_recovery

Louis

#4 jdbaker82

jdbaker82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 05:14 PM

does it show up in disk management in windows?

No it isn't showing up at first I thought it was when I connected it to my Windows 7 machine with a USB adapter but then I realized it showed up as disk 1 with just the USB attachment even if the drive wasn't connected to it I have tried to get it to show up in disk management on several machines and have tried booting to Linux Pup to see if that would recognize the drive.... Nothing is recognizing the drive but it sounds like it is spinning up normal and isn't making any crazy sounds that a typical failing hard drive makes....

I have no idea what I can try next

#5 jdbaker82

jdbaker82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 05:29 PM

I am a little confused at what step to take after the drive doesn't show up under disk management? is there even a step after that or are you screwed? Obviously it could be sent out to a data recovery company for $1000's but that is not an option for me.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:12 AM

I would try the diagnostic software from the hard drive manufacturer's website...it's not dependent on drive recognition by Windows.

If that doesn't recognize the drive, I would guess that it's dead.

If it does recognize the drive...I would try recovery software before I ran any tests on the drive.

If both a long and short test are offered on the diagnostic...run the long test.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#7 jdbaker82

jdbaker82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:50 PM

I would try the diagnostic software from the hard drive manufacturer's website...it's not dependent on drive recognition by Windows.

If that doesn't recognize the drive, I would guess that it's dead.

If it does recognize the drive...I would try recovery software before I ran any tests on the drive.

If both a long and short test are offered on the diagnostic...run the long test.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

Thank you very much Louis when I get around to it I will probably try to mess with the drive but I already bit the bullet and installed a new hard drive for my customer and told him his data is gone :thumbsup:

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:16 AM

Resolution is good, at any cost :thumbsup:. Thanks for posting back with your solution, happy computing :flowers:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users