Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't find printer on home network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 catamongthebats

catamongthebats

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:26 PM

Hi,

We have a HP printer and Kyocera Km-1650 Photocopier/printer/scanner I can't find the Kyocera over our Home Network. We recently upgraded all computers from XP or Vista to Windows 7 Home Premium and everything was smooth sailing, both the printers worked fine wirelessly when plugged into our wireless router.
Then we changed our D-Link Modem + D-link wireless router to a Belkin(G) ADSL2+ Modem with Wireless 802.11g Router an all in one model instead of the two D-link's. Now I plugged all the ethernet cables in, did a "Install a network, wireless or bluetooth printer" which found the HP but the Kyocera does not appear.
I went through the steps of "the printer I want is not listed here." as I have the IP address of the Kyocera, windows 7 installed the relevant drivers etc but the staus of the printer is offline. When I try to print a test page nothing happens, then i'm taken through the troubleshooting wizard and it ends with "Windows was unable to fix the problem, please consult your network administrator."
I've removed the device and tried a re-install many times from both the central PC that the modem is connected to, a laptop connected wirelessly to the network and a secondary PC connected via an ethernet cable to the router(making sure I list the Kyocera as being shared each time). I've shuffled the ethernet cables around. I've turned windows firewall off (it's the only firewall we have) and we still can't use the printer over the network, we have to take the laptop to the kyocera and use the USB.
I'm assuming it's a problem with the Belkin Modem/router as it worked fine on the D-Link, but I can't understand why it would locate the HP only and not the Kyocera? Anyway, I've exhausted my limited knowledge of networks so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:41 PM

you usually can print a config page on the kyocera from the machine itself.
did you make sure the ip address it is listing in the config is pingable?
maybe just cleanly boot the printer by pulling all the power and letting it reset?
is it DHCP assigned on the printer or Static?

#3 catamongthebats

catamongthebats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:18 PM

Thanks! :thumbsup:

I shut it all down, unplugged everything, printed a configuration page and noticed it had DHCP turned off? Not sure how or when that happened but i turned it back on and it's working now.

Thanks so much!!

#4 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:13 AM

No problem.
Thanks for replying with a fix.

No problem.
Thanks for replying with a fix.