Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think I have Bricked my Linksys WRT54G Router

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:22 PM

I tried to update to DD-WRT firmware on a Linksys WRT 54G Router V6 and now I cannot access the router. I tried to flash it with VXWorks-killer : WRT54G v5,v5.1,v6 1st. It looked like it worked and then after a hard reset I got a page that said Management Update Page, accept, reset. To be honest I did not research exactly how to pull off this firmware upgrade and this caused me to fail. I did not realize how complex the procedure was and watching 2 Youtube video's just didn't cut it. When I tried to access the router using 192.168.1.1 I wasn't able to. I was reading this article http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Recov...rom_a_Bad_Flash however some of the article is just over my head. I was given the router, therefore I am not that worried if it is now unusable. I am just disappointed I could not succeed with the firmware upgrade. I have a flashing power light on my router. How can I know for sure if my router is beyond repair. What are some steps to follow to determine this. What is the best article, link or video explaining how to perform this firmware upgrade. Thanks for any helpful information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:29 PM

why were you updating the firmware? I just leave mine alone.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:49 PM

I guess I am always reading about how the DD-WRT Firmware has all these great features and I wanted to see what the hype was about. I should have looked into it more.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:23 AM

Did you try the 30/30/30 reset? Its fairly straight forward. Just make sure you hold it for 30 secs. The reset button is beside the power plug, you'll need a straightened paperclip to press it.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users