Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Our File Server 2003 isn't sharing files anymore

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 DaveMC

DaveMC

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:09 PM

:thumbsup: Our church has a file server (Dell 2900) running Server 2003 + SP2. It's job is to share files with the staff at the church on approx. 20 PCs & Macs. All was working OK till last week when suddenly no one could get on the shared files. when they tried to check the shares on there MY Computer, they were told that they didn't have permission or that the share did not exist. I could see the shares locally, but could not see or connect over the network.

I ran our symantec 10 and our malware bytes with reports that all was well.

I backed up the data to an ext HDD and reformated the C partiotion of the drive. The data resides on the D partition which I did not touch. It worked for a short while and then had the same failure.

Just some notes: When I turned off the share on the server, it informed that there was one user connected even though I knew no one was connected.

I installed the paid portion of malware bytes and saw several blocked malicious attempts to unknown IP addresses.

I further suspect a hidden spyware program because I looked in the log file of the router and saw connections and attempted connection between the servers IP and some unknown external IP addresses on a port around 24000.

What should I do next ?

Edited by Pandy, 26 April 2010 - 10:50 AM.
Moved from Windows NT/2000/2003/2008 to a more appropriate forum as malware is suspected ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users