Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot disable Norton service

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 houyhnhnm

houyhnhnm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:29 PM

Hi and hello to all (I'm new):

I have a recent Toshiba L505 laptop with Windows 7. I have Norton Internet Security 2010 and I'm quite happy with it, but I also have a subscription to Kasperski for a few more months. Every so often, I would like to also scan my laptop with Kaspersky as an added security but I cannot install Kaspersky back on my computer unless I remove Norton first (that's what Kaspersky's instructions tell me).

I tried to temporarily disable Norton by going the Run and msconfig route and clicking the services tab. When I unchecked Norton, clicked OK and restarted my computer (I was prompted to do so), I discovered that Norton was still there afterwards and was still running as usual. Same when I clicked the Apply button.

I contacted Norton and they seemed baffled. They remotely entered my computer, checked a few things and ultimately uninstalled and reinstalled Norton, saying that that would solve the problem. And they left. It did not solve the problem. I contacted Toshiba, but they were even more flabbergasted and were also unable to help.

So here I am... it seems impossible to temporarily disable Norton for whatever reason. Is Norton playing some game with my computer? Has anyone ever heard of a similar problem ?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance and sorry for being so long-winded (I'm new at this).

Houyhnhnm

Edited by Andrew, 24 April 2010 - 06:36 PM.
Mod Edit: Clarified Title, Moved To More Appropriate Forum - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:03 PM

You are not able to install Kaspersky alongside Norton for a good reason. You should not be running more than one active protection at once. It will only cause trouble.

The primary concern with using more than one anti-virus program is due to conflicts that can arise when both are running in real-time mode simultaneously. Anti-virus software components insert themselves into the operating systems core and using more than one can cause instability, crash your computer, slow performance and waste system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, they both may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Each anti-virus will often interpret the activity of the other as a virus and there is a greater chance of them alerting you to a "False Positive". If one finds a virus and then the other also finds the same virus, both programs will be competing over exclusive rights on dealing with that virus. Each anti-virus will attempt to remove the offending file and quarantine it. If one finds and quarantines the file before the other one does, then you encounter the problem of both wanting to scan each other's zipped or archived files and each reporting the other's quarantined contents. This can lead to a repetitive cycle of endless alerts that continually warn you that a virus has been found when that is not the case.

Anti-virus scanners use virus definitions to check for viruses and these can include a fragment of the virus code which may be recognised by other anti-virus programs as the virus itself. Because of this, most anti-virus programs encrypt their definitions so that they do not trigger a false alarm when scanned by other security programs. However, some anti-virus vendors do not encrypt their definitions and will trigger false alarms if used while another resident anti-virus program is active.

Further, dual installation is not always possible because some anti-virus programs will detect the presence of others and may insist they be removed prior to installation. To avoid these problems, use only one anti-virus solution. Deciding which one to remove is your choice. Be aware that you may lose your subscription to that anti-virus program's virus definitions once you uninstall that software.

Most anti-virus vendors recommend that you install and run only one anti-virus program at a time:
Symantec's statement.
Avast's statement.
AVG's statement.
Dell Support advises the same for their systems.

In contrast, using more than one anti-spyware running in real-time mode simultaneously increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system as what can occur when using more than one anti-virus. Even if your anti-spyware programs are not running in real-time, the overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new malware infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes spyware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus provides the most complete protection.

However, you can over do it with resource heavy programs that will slow down you system performance. Sometimes you just have to experiment to get the right combo for your particular system as there is no universal solution that works for everyone.

If you want on-demand scanners, Malwarebytes' and SUPERAntispyware are excellent free ones highly recommended by this forum. Kaspersky has an online scan, as well. :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users