Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think I have a virus! Please help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mkr148

mkr148

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:51 PM

I think that my computer has contracted a virus somehow. However MacAfee, Norton, & spy sweep can't find anything. It started a couple of days ago and has caused my usually lightning fast computer to crawl at a snailís pace. The problem is with my internet explorer it is super slow & locks up. I canít open any attachments from my email accounts and my hard drive seems to be super active! I donít know what to do I hope someone here can help? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:09 PM

I would start by using TFC by Old Timer which can be downloaded here. It also has some basic instructions on how to use it, but just make sure you close any open programs and save any data before you run because it might require a reboot.

Then I would move to MBAM followed by SAS for good measure.

Let me know what they come up with and we can go from there. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or issues and I will try and help.

#3 mkr148

mkr148
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:41 PM

I canít open any of the links that you posted! This is one of the problems that I am having. I click the link and nothing happens. All links. For example I get an email from Face Book that someone commented on something I try to click that and nothing happens. If I hold down control and then click the link a new explorer window opens up it just says connecting and nothing happens! I have run Malwarebytes and it finds nothing as well! I am soo pissed this is my new computer it was sweet now it sucks!

#4 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:44 PM

No worries, I'm sure your computer will back to it's old self eventually.

Have you tried booting into safe mode with networking using the F8 method? I am assuming that you are using Windows 7 since it's a new computer, but if not the instructions are basically the same. You will restart your computer and begin tapping F8 while it's booting until you see the screen that will allow you to boot into safe mode with networking. Don't do the other methods of trying to get into safe mode as they might cause more harm than good.

Windows 7

Using the F8 Method:

1. Restart your computer.
2. When the computer starts you will see your computer's hardware being listed. When you see this information start to gently tap the F8 key on your keyboard repeatedly until you are presented with the Windows 7 Advanced Boot Options
3. Using the arrow keys, select the Safe Mode With Networking option you want.
4. Then press the enter key on your keyboard to boot into Windows 7 Safe Mode.
5. When Windows starts you will be at a typical logon screen. Logon to your computer and Windows 7 will enter Safe mode.
6. Do whatever tasks you require, and when you are done, reboot to go back into normal mode.

I copied the above info from the Bleeping Computer Tutorial on how to get into safe mode since you can't click on any links. Once you get into safe mode with networking, try clicking on the links I provided earlier in this topic. I would first run the SUPERAntispyware in safe mode, followed by Malwarebytes. Then boot into normal mode and let me know if you can then run a Malwarebytes scan. Good luck!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users