Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win32 error and internet fading in and out.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tanur420

tanur420

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:42 PM

I just bought an alienware aurora a few weeks ago, it arrived yesterday and much to my dismay it isnt working very well. When i go online first off, the webpages' data displays as x's or are incorrectly sized/chopped up all over the page. Also the internet keeps timing out (atleast thats what i think it is, as it takes forever to load some pages and sometimes wont load them at all and i have to refresh.) When i download setup files, happened with two differant ones so far, Everquest and Firefox, It will download them but then say theyre not valid win32 programs. Also tried to do Windows Update, it downloaded and installed 11 updates and failed on 8 others. I'm wired straight to the router. Thus far i have norton security suite and zone alarm installed. Any help with this would be apreciated.

I'm running win 7 64 bit home
9 gigs of memory
ati radeon 5900 series

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:46 PM

I would have to say that your problems are caused by Norton and Zone Alarm. Try disabling both of them and see if you still have the same problems.

:huh: to Bleeping Computer, by the way. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 tanur420

tanur420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:01 PM

Ty for the welcome :huh: I thought the same so right after i posted that i uninstalled norton and shutdown zone alarm. That seemed to help with the connectivity, however the graphics on pages are still displaying incorectly and im still getting the invalid win32 application when i try to run a patcher =\ ima try the windows update in a second.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:06 PM

I'm assuming you're using Internet Explorer 8? It sucks pretty bad and is notorious for not displaying webpages properly. You would be wise to install Firefox if you can get it downloaded.

I'm not sure about the "invalid win32 application" error message, but let's take this one step at a time. :huh:

#5 tanur420

tanur420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:30 PM

okay swapped to firefox. Now im displaying pages accurately, although a little slow, may just be cause ijust loaded it. Downloaded files are working now, only thing is windows still failing updates, it got 5 of the ones it originally faield and failed on 3 others. I'm going to reboot and try to get the other 3. Then just to get zone alarm and norton running again. Good call on the firefox :huh:

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:20 PM

Which updates are failing?

I'm assuming Norton came preinstalled? I would recommend removing it (it's not popular around here) and installing a good free AV like Avast. I've never used Zone Alarm, but I have seen a lot of problems caused by it.

I've always used the firewall built into Windows with no problems. :huh:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 24 April 2010 - 06:21 PM.

#7 tanur420

tanur420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:54 PM

Ive always used zone alarm i love it hehe. and norton came free with internet. zone alarm is working np. now to see if i can get norton to mesh with everything

#8 tanur420

tanur420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:23 PM

Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows 7 x64-based Systems (KB977863)

Download size: 5.0 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Recommended

Install this update to resolve issues with Media Center for Windows 7. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this cumulative update, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 977863. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=179608

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

Update for Rights Management Services Client for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB979099)

Download size: 2.0 MB

Install this update to resolve issues caused by manifest expiration in AD RMS enabled applications. This update will fix any existing issues in addition to addressing any future application manifest expirations. After you install this item, you may have to restart any running AD RMS enabled applications.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979099

Help and Support:

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB976264)

Download size: 1.8 MB

Install this update to resolve issues with non-compatible applications for Windows 7. For complete details of this update, see Knowledge Base Article KB976264. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/976264

Help and Support:

Copy and pasted the updates that are failing. Not sure if theyre actually important or not

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:00 AM

Important...not critical. What error code is it giving back to you?

Try booting into Safe Mode with Networking and running Windows Update again. Sometimes updates that fail in normal mode will install in Safe Mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users