Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

YOUR SYSTEM IS INFECTED!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Speeedy171

Speeedy171

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:23 PM

My desktop background has turned green with a black box that reads, "YOUR SYSTEM IS INFECTED! System has stopped due to a serious malfunction. Spyware activity has been detected. It is recommended to use spyware removal tool to prevent data loss. Do not use the computer before all spyware removed." My task manager has also been disabled. Can anyone help me? Windows XP Media Center Edition

Edited by Speeedy171, 24 April 2010 - 04:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:34 PM

Do any programs pop up that you don't recognize that state they are trying to help or protect you? If so, what's the name of the program? A good place to look for this program is down in the taskbar by your clock. Let me know what you find there and maybe I can post a link to the best to remove it.

You could also try this.

#3 Speeedy171

Speeedy171
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:38 PM

Yes!! Something called Internet Security 2010. I have a comcast.net Anti-Spyware application that recognized it and said it removed it, but it did not. At least I don't think it did.

Edited by Speeedy171, 24 April 2010 - 04:38 PM.

#4 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:03 PM

Perfect, that's what I was looking for. Have you tried this yet? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...t-security-2010

You could then follow up with a SUPERAntispyware or the free Dr.Web CureIt?

Before you use those programs, you could use TFC by Old Timer to clear out some temporary files first. You can find it here with some basic instructions on how to use it.

Let me know if you run into any problems or have additional questions.

#5 Speeedy171

Speeedy171
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:23 PM

Thank you so much certifiedgeek :-D I actually used mbam the first time you mentioned it, and everything seems to be cleared up now. Saved me some dough for sure. Thanks again!

#6 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:57 PM

That's great news and it puts us several steps in the right direction, but just to make sure things are ok you should probably run SUPERAntispyware that I also mentioned as malware today is very hard to remove and even though things seem fine, there still might be other infections present. I would run SAS and then even possible Dr.Web CureIt just to doublecheck.

Then install a good antivirus program such as Avira, Avast, AVG, or Microsoft Security Essentials. Only use one though as installing several antivirus programs at the same time is going to cause more harm than good.

A good way to test to see if you are clean is to do some google searches for things link "free av" or "free spyware removal" followed by actually trying a could of the links that are presented. This will also bring up some of the antivirus programs that I mentioned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users