Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen, atapi.sys

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

#1 novaklone

novaklone

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:20 PM

1.The Blue Screen that says "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down...." comes up.

2. The following is shown in technical Information :

Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF75967C0, 0xF7A2E52C, 0xF7A2E228)

atapi.sys - Address F75967C0 base at F7580000 Date Stamp 4802539D

3.This happened out of nowhere (I was reading manga online).

4. Attempting to boot in safe mode or with last known good settings produces same Blue Screen.

5.This is happening on my Dell Dimension 4600 with Windows XP Home Edition

EDIT: Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 24 April 2010 - 04:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:31 PM

Can you boot into windows at all?

Edited by computerxpds, 24 April 2010 - 04:32 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 novaklone

novaklone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:34 PM

nope.... choosing any of the boot options leads directly to that blue screen

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:36 PM

do you still have a windows cd? also what anti virus do you use?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 novaklone

novaklone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:39 PM

oh yea i meant to mention that....

No windows Cd and no antivirus software.... every time a problem came up i used ad-aware, spybot s&d, hijackthis, and combofix.

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:44 PM

well from this point without a windows disc I'm out of ideas. Wait a while and another member will be along to suggest something. Sorry i cant help you.
sigcomp.png 

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:53 PM

How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

You should not be using Combofix unless instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for general public or personal use. Combofix was never meant to be used as a general purpose malware scanner like SuperAntispyware or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#8 novaklone

novaklone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:09 PM

yea i know about combofix, someone from a different forum helped me with it a couple of months ago and everything worked out way better than i expected.

now as for burning a cd.... the computer that I'm on now doesn't have a cd-rw drive and the one that's on the problem computer wont open at all (hit the eject button and it makes 2 click noises and that's it)

#9 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:41 PM

Just curious, did you notice anything out of the ordinary or were you doing any malware removal scanning right before you got the blue screen error?

#10 novaklone

novaklone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:07 PM

not at all. at the time the screen came up i was on onemanga.com, got up to check something, came back and now this.

I just switched my cd-rw drive to this working computer and now im trying to get it to open so that i can create the recovery console disk.

#11 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:31 PM

I've seen antivirus software try to remove a rootkit virus that attacks the atapi.sys file, but since you don't have any antivirus installed, I am not quite sure unless the microsoft malware removal tool tried to fix it real time. Of course, it could be hardware related since the atapi.sys file is related to the mass storage controller which is needed to boot, but here lately it seems the atapi.sys errors are virus related. The next step would be to boot to the cd that you are creating and then copy the atapi.sys file from another location to the sys32 one, however that should only be done with guidance from an expert here in the forums.

keyboardNinja, what would you recommend we try next? Anybody else have any suggestions?

#12 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE(certifiedgeek @ Apr 24 2010, 07:31 PM) View Post
keyboardNinja, what would you recommend we try next?

What are you looking at me for? blink.gif

I was just facilitating computerxpds in his attempts at helping. whistling.gif

If novaklone can create the recovery console CD, then he should try that. Diagnosing non-booting computers over a forum can be exponentially difficult....I've not had great success with it. crazy.gif

Edited by keyboardNinja, 24 April 2010 - 07:39 PM.

#13 novaklone

novaklone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:43 PM

this may be a pain in the neck since my only cd-rw drive refuses to open and without it i cant write that cd i need.... still working on getting it open...

and now this computer im working on now is doing that google re-direct thing so i guess imma try and fix this in the mean time till my cd drive opens.... ill keep yall posted.

thnx for the help and suggestions so far

#14 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:46 PM

use a paper clip to open the cd drive. thats what the little hole is for on the front of it.
sigcomp.png 

#15 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE(novaklone @ Apr 24 2010, 07:43 PM) View Post
this may be a pain in the neck since my only cd-rw drive refuses to open and without it i cant write that cd i need.... still working on getting it open...

and now this computer im working on now is doing that google re-direct thing so i guess imma try and fix this in the mean time till my cd drive opens.... ill keep yall posted.

thnx for the help and suggestions so far

It's just not your day, is it? wacko.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users