Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do Lots of desktop icons slow computer ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 25 September 2005 - 11:25 AM

i have a lot of shortcuts and icons and stuff on my desktop. do they hurt performance.

im thinking about just collecting all the ones i almost never use and put them all in 1 folder on the desktop. would that be better for the computer?

even if it isnt, atleast it will be neater.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 12:02 PM

I think at the very least, it slows boot time.
Posted Image

#3 spywaredr

spywaredr

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 25 September 2005 - 03:35 PM

short answer,yes ! put them [icon shortcuts] into quick launch.
right click taskbar,select toolbars,click desktop,this removes all shortcuts [icons]. now,repeat the process and click quick launch. this places 2 >>'s into your taskbar. that's quick launch. click those 2 >>'s and up pops up all your shortcuts in text form.
now,go find a nice background picture to use as your desktop background now that it's clear of clutter.
check out Webkey,here
http://browseraddons.friendpages.com
allows you to create "hotkeys" and assign your fav file/software application,website to a keyboard "hotkey". like this board is alt plus the letter b.press both and the board opens right up already logged in.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:01 AM

Don't use a screensaver and reduce the icons and shortcuts to save time on boot up. Personally, I use the quick launch only for applications that I use all the time. The rest of the gunk I can find in the programs dropdown if and when I need it.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 29 September 2005 - 11:03 AM

Hi All,
Here's a suggestion for relieving some of the clutter on your Desktop. It is much like those previously mentioned, with a little added bonus.

First off, create a new folder, in a location of your choice. Now the key is to name this folder with a single letter or symbol. I named mine "$", without the quotations. This takes up less room on the task bar, and is less of an eyesore than using a full name, you'll see what I mean.

Not sure how to make new folders? Right-click an empty part of the screen-->"New"-->"Folder"-->Then name it. Or in Windows Explorer, click "File"-->"New"-->"Folder"-->Then name it.

Inside this new folder, create a few Sub-Folders and name them according to the contents that you will be putting in them. Example: "Games", "Security", "HTML", and so on....(no quotes) Try and keep the names short, helps with loading, eg...instead of "Security", name it "Spy" or something of that nature.

If you use many Apps. that are of a similar category, this is a great way to organize them in one place for updating or merely for storage to a program that is easily forgotten due to infrequent use.(I suffer from this problem)

Now, it's time to create a toolbar out of your new folder. Right-Click on the Task Bar-->"Toolbars"-->"New Toolbar"-->In the Pop-Up, Navigate to your newly created Folder( "$" ), click it, and click "OK". Now you will notice a "Quick Launch" lookalike on the Right side of the Task Bar. Now you see why the short name is used.

To make the best of having a Folder like this, you may want to create some "Send To" Shortcuts, A hidden Gem of Windows that are accessible via Right-Click.
Click "Start"-->"Run"-->type"sendto"click OK(Win. Explorer opens)-->"Right-Click" an empty space-->click"Shortcut"(Wizard pops-up)-->Browse to destination folder-->click "OK".Example:( C:Documents and SettingsOwnerMy Documents$ ).

To use, "right-Click" the object-->"Send To"-->Your New Folder--> it copies the target to your specified folder. Just trash the desktop icon if your done with it, thus creating less shortcuts,and helping with boot-up.

I also recommend making a "Send To"--"Send To" shortcut in the same fashion as above. This way you can customize any send to command of a program just by "Right-Clicking-->"Send To"-->"Send To".

I use this method because I like to save my "Quick Launch" for Web Browsers and Media Players only. Three shortcuts are visible for quick access on the left, and on the right in "$" is the multitude of shortcuts to every other Program on my PC.

Hope This Helps,

Nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users