Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where do I start?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:13 PM

I want to learn some programming languages. Where do I start? I took Basic in college about 500 years ago when I was young but I can't say I really remember much. Besides, the stuff they were teaching back then, basic, fortran, ect.... aren't to applicable today for PC's are they? Although I took CS in college I never finished and really, as I said, there isn't much comparison between 5000 people time sharing a Vax Omnibus (I think that was what it was called, it's been a long time ago lol), and today's PC.

When I finish my malware training and get some experience, I'd like to tackle writing some malware tools, I don't see an end to a need for those. Is there an order I should go in? What first? Java C, C++, Visual Basic? Some other language I don't even know about? 2-3 years ago I was lucky to find the power button 3 out of 5 times, I have leaned a TON since then, both about building and about Vista, but it's not even the tip of the iceberg. I can't help but think that there is something programming wise I could learn to help me with malware fighting. LOL I have HUGE periods of free time quite often given what I am currently doing work wise........ I have been meaning to "get back into computers" for 25 years now............

Any suggestions?

Edited by DeathStalker, 24 April 2010 - 02:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:20 PM

I have no suggestions other than if you stick to a higher level language like C# then you will not have to worry about dealing with things like memory allocation, etc. that you would if you were using C or C++. All languages do pretty much the same thing, so I can't even really say I have a preference any more. I'll use whatever the project entails.

EDIT: One caveat. Check out available resources. Java and C#, Ruby, Python, etc all have pretty good tutorials. Some languages are harder to find good tutorials. I am trying to learn some Actionscript and I am having difficulty in finding simple tutorials to learn things like basic package structure, how builds are done, etc.

#3 kelvincrispy

kelvincrispy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:43 AM

I would recommend you start with basic, how can you learn Java language without any knowledge of Basic C and C++.
First clear your fundamentals.. and if you are learning for creating some project purpose then I will say after clearing your douts about C and C++ choose PHP, it is best for designing and creating websites.
For learning C and C++ books or Internet tutorial will help you and i think books are not enough you have to apply practically.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:00 AM

how can you learn Java language without any knowledge of Basic C and C++.

Simple. Java, C, and C++ are just languages. I don't need to learn Spanish just so I can learn French, do I? That is why the choice of language doesn't even matter.

#5 DeathStalker

DeathStalker
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:29 PM

Thanks Kelvin and Groovicus.

I was going to thank you earlier Groovicus, but I was hoping to get more replies.

#6 adamtf

adamtf

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:56 PM

how can you learn Java language without any knowledge of Basic C and C++.

Simple. Java, C, and C++ are just languages. I don't need to learn Spanish just so I can learn French, do I? That is why the choice of language doesn't even matter.

I agree with groovicus. You don't need to learn one language to learn another. Some languages are similar, but all logic is the same. Functions might be named differently, but it's all essentially the same.

#7 NeverGivUpChris

NeverGivUpChris

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:53 PM

Try with Visual Basic the .net framework is great for beginners visual studio is nice and friendly and Microsoft do some good step by step books. However once you have a taste for it I recommend moving onto a C based language like Java or C++ as soon as possible mainly because visual basic isnt widely used in the real world and you don't want to restrict yourself to only being able to write windows programs using the .net framework. I started with visual basic .net about four years ago and now I can write C, C++, C# .net and I am learning Java
A Royale With Cheese

#8 KelvinS

KelvinS

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:44 PM

Yeah I'm agree , no matter what kind of languages you use to program , the most important thing is the logic.

#9 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:42 AM

My 2 cents :

If you want to learn a language to handle malware, then you need a little knowledge of Windows API as malware only hit Windows operating system. The languages based on .NET framework offer an easy layer to do the dirty work to handle the actual Windows API, so in that case you do not have to worry. But then programs written in .NET, depend on .NET framework. What if a computer does not have .NET installed ? You have to keep all these things in mind when writing programs for malware killing. Actually Windows Vista and 7 come with .NET installed, but Windows XP users will be left behind. Then there is another concern, what if .NET files are corrupted by malware ?

Programs written in languages like C (my favorite) and C++, are native Win32 programs and can run without any such framework. Sometimes, depending on the functions used, they may need run time libraries, but those come pre-installed on all Windows operating systems starting from Windows 95/98. These programs are also very small in size and can be easily downloaded by an infected user. They also run very fast. But then you need some good knowledge of Win32 API.

There is also a trend I have seen on BleepingComputer. Some programs being offered like RKill by Grinler and ComboFix by sUBs, are actually a bundle of scripts and small utility programs. They are written using good old BATCH files. So there is another alley you can explore in your adventure of writing malware killing tools.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users