Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sites I need are blocked

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jaysnzees

jaysnzees

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:11 PM

I have aquired a Dell Dimension 2350 pc, and it is infected. I had connected it to the net and first tried to log onto this website, then the MB & SAS site all with the intent on install the MB & SAS on that computer to try and tackle the problem.

I get a black that says the site I am trying to access is in my words loaded with virus and I should continue. I can go to yahoo or google, but not the sites I want. Is there something out there programed to block going to the sites that are needed to beat them?

I tried the Komando.com site and got in, tried to go to avg.com from there, but that was blocked too.

Can I put MB & SAS on a flash drive or CD and try to install like that? I tried the CD, but it says there is an error in the burning and would not work. I have a pretty big thumb drive, but don't know how to get what I need on them.

Any help??
jame
What is thy bidding? My Master?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:41 PM

Hi jaysneez,

Yes you can try installing MBAM or SAS from a thumb drive or a cd, either way should work just fine. Just check out this link for MBAM and this link for SAS. They both have instructions for downloading the programs and then some suggestions if you run into any problems trying to run them or install them.

Once you have downloaded the programs, plug in your thumb drive, and then right click on the downloaded files, followed by Send To and then select your thumb drive in the list. If you aren't sure which one is your thumb drive, you can click on start, then my computer, and then look for the actual thumb drive listed with a drive letter next to it. If you're still not sure which one it is, you can unplug it and watch for which one disappears, and then plug it back in which it should reappear.

Then install the thumb drive in the infected computer and try to install and run the programs by clicking on start, then my computer, then double clicking on the thumb drive, and then double clicking on the downloaded MBAM and SAS files. Keep in mind that the thumb drive (flash drive) that you're planning on using could also become infected so it would be a good idea to scan it at a later point once this is cleaned up.

You might need to use rkill which you can find more information at the bottom of the Malwarebytes link I posted above.

Happy Malware Hunting!

#3 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:41 PM

I have used my thumb drive to install MBAM onto the computer. I have been unable to update it, or open it. Whenever I do one of the following occur. add:Blank in the address bar and the screen goes red. Or IE fails to open website. Most of the time one of the several Personal Security pop ups appear telling me just how bad it is and how they can fix it.

Meanwhile, I am only able to open sites such as google, but cannot link onto or open the site to MBAM or SAS or BC. I am even entertaining the idea of formatting the hard drive and then reinstalling wondows, but can't find the steps to do this. And even if I did, I would probably be unable to. When i right click on My Computer and then select Manage...nothing happens. I am able to "regedit" but don't know what to do there, without some step by step help.

Oh yeah, I also cannot start in safe mode or open the boot menu.

Is there anyway to "force" MBAM to operate? I don't know what to do next.

#4 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:39 PM

Here is a nice post that details some things you can do to try and get MBAM to work. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1476905

Did you transfer rkill over as well on your flash drive? Try running rkill repeatedly until it runs successfully and pay close attention to the rkill instructions. Right after you run rkill, then run MBAM and remove all it finds. You will see more details in the link above.

Formatting and installing is always an option and maybe something to think about, but let's try the above first to see if we can't make some progress.

#5 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:21 PM

well I have finally had the timje to toy with this pc today and I have rkill on my flash drive, but it will not run while starting th computer, and when I click open it only displays a dos box for a second and that goes away.

I am have MBAM installed, but it will not run and SAS will not even install. I can't open the control panel, I can't run Regedit, I can't do much of anything. It was my virus protection needs updating and there is an adware (?) of some kind that keeps running a scan telling me I am infected, but I don't think it is real.

I would love to try some of the stuff on your link, my firend but I am still sitting idle at themoment. next step, if any?

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:13 AM

Hello there, since certifiedgeek is unavailable at the moment, I will take over this topic if you don't mind :thumbsup:

Please try to follow the steps in this guide and let me know if that solves the problem.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#7 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:42 PM

Thanks Elise.

I finally got the PC to start in Safe mode and was able to run Rkill, MBAM and SAS. Over 700 virus's and malwares removed.

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,816 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:52 PM

That is good news :thumbsup: How are things running now? Did you try the steps from the removal guide I linked you to?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#9 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:20 AM

Yes, your suggestions were the ticket, elise. I am actually using this computer now. My other newer one has a blue screen problem that another BC tech is helping me with. I have been trying to find out how I can make this one run faster. I know there are several pointers here on BC, but I don't know what files are needed when I scroll through them.

Do you know of anyone who would remotely look over my PC and suggest what I get rid of to make it faster? Or look it over in general and suggest what I do with it?

#10 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,816 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:42 PM

Do you know of anyone who would remotely look over my PC and suggest what I get rid of to make it faster? Or look it over in general and suggest what I do with it?

At BC we do not offer remote support for a very good reason: never allow a virtual stranger to take a look into your computer!

Maybe this guide is of interest (if you use vista and not xp, let me know).

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users