Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

boot problems with the BSOD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
119 replies to this topic

#1 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:04 PM

Hey Bleepingcomputer Family !!

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop that all of a sudden, just started getting the BSOD.
It was ordered quite a while back with Windows XP on it, even though it still says Vista on the front of it.
Went into the kitchen and when I came back, the BSOD was there. It says....
0X0000007E ( 0XC0000005
OXB9F477CC0
0XBA4CB528
0XBA4CB224)
ATAPI.SYS - Address B9F477C0 Base at B9F31000
Now, the computer starts to boot, the Windows XP flash screen shows up and then it just blue screens.....every time !
Does anone know what I should do ? Help ! Ny and all help is greatly appreciated !!
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:11 PM

can you boot into safe mode?

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:27 PM

I'm sorry. I forgot to tell ya that I can't boot into anything. Not Safemode, Safemode with CMD promt......nothing. It does the same exact thing...BSOD
Thanks for a fast reply !
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:30 PM

do you have a windows xp disc?

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#5 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:38 PM

Yep. Do you think I should try to do a "repair"?

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:17 PM

Do this:

1. Insert the Windows XP CD into your CD drive and restart your computer. If you are prompted, select any options required to start (boot) from the CD.
2. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts. Select the repair or recover option by pressing R.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiboot system, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password.
5. at the command prompt type chkdsk /r (notice the space between chkdsk and /r)
6. now let it run.

And report back when done. thumbup.gif

Edited by computerxpds, 24 April 2010 - 03:23 PM.

sigcomp.png 

#7 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:30 PM

Will do Captain !

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:34 PM

ok I will be waiting. thumbup.gif just remember the chkdsk /r (remember the space between chkdsk and /r) smile.gif

sigcomp.png 

#9 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:26 PM

Ok Captain, here are the results.

CHKDSK found and fixed one or more errors on the volume.
Then it just gave the disk volume size in KB's.
Thats it.
Anything else before I try to reboot ?

#10 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:28 PM

nope go ahead and try and reboot and see what happens if there is any thing else or if the problem persists then I will try to fix it. thumbup.gif

Post back if it boots up so we know if it was resolved or not.

Edited by computerxpds, 24 April 2010 - 04:36 PM.

sigcomp.png 

#11 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:47 PM

GRRRRRRRR.....
Same thing Capt.
What next. I'm leaving town till Monday morning so I will have to do your next suggestion when I get back in town. Let me know please and thank you for working with me !!!!

#12 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:16 PM

hope you have a nice trip any way i will be looking into this and trying to figure it out. thumbup.gif

sigcomp.png 

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:10 PM

Hello,

What were you doing on the computer when the BSOD and boot problems began? Have you had issues with infections in the past few months, and if so what were they?

Orange Blossom fruits_cherry.gif
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#14 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,201 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:50 PM

Hi, RacefanofJr smile.gif

welcome.gif

Seems the atapi.sys driver needs to be restored. Lets give it a try. You will need a flash drive to move information from the sick computer to a working computer. It is the only way we can see the progress of our actions. Save these instructions in your flash drive as a text file (use notepad) so you can have access to these while in an external environment (PE).

Here is what you need to do.

Two programs to download

First

Download ISOBurner. Click Here for ISOBurner Instructions. Install the program, and follow the next set of steps.

Second
  • Download OTLPE.iso and burn to a CD using ISO Burner. NOTE: This file is 276.7MB in size so it may take some time to download.
  • When downloaded double click and this will then open ISOBurner to burn the file to CD
  • Boot the Non working computer using the boot CD you just created.
  • In order to do so, the computer must be set to boot from the CD first
    Note : For information click here
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start. Change the following settings
    • Change Drivers to All
    • Change Standart Registry to All
    • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in

/md5start
      eventlog.dll
      scecli.dll
      netlogon.dll
      cngaudit.dll
      svchost.exe
      sceclt.dll
      ntelogon.dll
      logevent.dll
      iaStor.sys
      nvstor.sys
      atapi.sys
      IdeChnDr.sys
      viasraid.sys
      AGP440.sys
      vaxscsi.sys
      nvatabus.sys
      viamraid.sys
      nvata.sys
      nvgts.sys
      iastorv.sys
      ViPrt.sys
      eNetHook.dll
      ahcix86.sys
      KR10N.sys
      nvstor32.sys
      ahcix86s.sys
      nvrd32.sys
      userinit.exe
      explorer.exe
      ntoskrnl.exe
      /md5stop
      %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.*
      %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
      %systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive.
  • Please post the contents of the C:\OTL.txt file in your reply.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#15 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:56 AM

I will tackel these instructions this week. Thanks for posting HELP !!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users