Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop is hosed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Claude Cesard

Claude Cesard

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:36 PM

My laptop is acting very strange. I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 runing Windows XP SP3. The issues I'm seeing are as follows:

1) When I double-click on the McAfee icon nothing happens, either from the system tray or the menu item. No error, no indication as to why.

2) Networking is down, the window with network connections is empty (very strange), and none of the networking services can be started. Attempts to start Network Connections tells me that a dependency service failed to start. When I right-click and select properites the windows does not appear and there is no error as to why. Looking at another computer it tells me that the Remote Procedure Call service is a dependency of Network Connections. It is also down and when I try to start it I get: "Error 2: The sytem cannot find the file specified." Something else that's really odd, the extended view of the services show nothing at all. Only the standard view displays the services.

3) I can display the even viewer, but can't view any of the event properties/details. When I try to open an event nothing happens and not indications as to why, no error window, nothing. In the application section there are lots and lots of errors for the EventSystem source, category (50), event 4609. In the System section are tons of information events for the Windows File Protection source, category None, Event 64021, 64004, 64020, 64021. Then way down the list start the eventlog events for #6005 & 6009, with an ocassional warning from bcm4sbxp #4.

I have run sfc /fullscan, but there it completed without reporting any anomalies. Given the state of being unable to display any detail windows I can't be sure. I tried to install MalwareBytes, but it can't update it's data files because of the network being down so it won't run.

Is this an issue with svchost? Virus? Malware?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:13 PM

Did you reboot your computer after the latest McAfee update?

#3 Retirednow

Retirednow

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:03 AM

I would check the Mcaffe web site. There is a problem with one of the updates to tyhe Mcaffee software that is creating havoc with Win XP pc's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users