Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Doesn't Activate During Boot Until Windows

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 applesauce1234

applesauce1234

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:15 PM

Hey there

So I recently got a new hard drive installed after my old one crashed... one change ive noticed since then is that the keyboard doesnt seem to be activated until after the windows splash screen comes on... i.e. i can't access safe mode or change the boot options... for example, if i hit CAPS LOCK, nothing comes on... but after the windows XP screen comes on, then the keyboard turns on...

im using windows XP home

any ideas?

thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:34 PM

is the keyboard usb or ps/2?

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 applesauce1234

applesauce1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:50 PM

usb... one light on the keyboard is turned on, the function light... but no keys seem to work.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:04 PM

is it wired or wireless sorry i forgot to ask the first time. can you get into bios?

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#5 applesauce1234

applesauce1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:16 PM

hey... yeah its wired

and no, i cant get into bios... is there a problem with the keyboard itself? can i change it via windows?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:26 PM

Go and buy another keyboard and try it. You can always return it if it doesnt work.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:42 PM

Sounds to me as if you don't have USB support enabled...until the system loads the USB drivers. There should be a setting in the BIOS for such.

Louis

#8 applesauce1234

applesauce1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:24 PM

cryptodan, well its the same keyboard ive always been using... the keys all worked during bootup before i got my new hard drive installed...

does this mean the keyboard is broken? it seems to work fine except during bootup... or are you just saying get another keyboard to test if another one would work during bootup?

hamluis, how can i get into the BIOS if i cant use the keyboard? can you do any of that in windows?

im wondering if maybe the guy who installed the new hard drive changed something in BIOS...

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:23 PM

That is exactly what I am suggesting.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 05:01 PM

cryptodan, well its the same keyboard ive always been using... the keys all worked during bootup before i got my new hard drive installed...

does this mean the keyboard is broken? it seems to work fine except during bootup... or are you just saying get another keyboard to test if another one would work during bootup?

hamluis, how can i get into the BIOS if i cant use the keyboard? can you do any of that in windows?

im wondering if maybe the guy who installed the new hard drive changed something in BIOS...

No your keyboard is NOT broken. If it is functioning correctly in Windows then it IS WORKING!

Try switching it to another USB port in the back of your computer and see if it is now being detected by the BIOS.

The thought that someone was recently inside the computer installing the hard drive tells me, you are not using the same usb port you were using before it was disconnected, or something is NOT making contact as it should.

If your keyboard was not working as it was suggested here, it Would not work in windows either

Edited by MrBruce1959, 25 April 2010 - 05:03 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#11 applesauce1234

applesauce1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:34 PM

hey there...

so i just tried it in a different usb port, and presto, it works!

problem solved!

question, though: does that mean there was something wrong with the other port, or just that my bios wasnt looking there for a keyboard?

thanks for all the help guys!

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:48 PM

hey there...

so i just tried it in a different usb port, and presto, it works!

problem solved!

question, though: does that mean there was something wrong with the other port, or just that my bios wasnt looking there for a keyboard?

thanks for all the help guys!

I am very glad things are back to normal again!

That port could be a victum of oxidation buildup on the connecters, but you now know your keyboard was NOT the problem, anyone one could see that! And your USB is also working fine as well!

Anytime you have a problem, please feel free to come on back and we'll leave the lights on for ya! :thumbsup:

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 April 2010 - 04:51 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#13 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:34 PM

Try using a little compressed air on the USB ports to blow them out.
Maybe a little dust was causing it not to make a good connection.

Glad it works in another port!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:56 PM

Try using a little compressed air on the USB ports to blow them out.
Maybe a little dust was causing it not to make a good connection.

Glad it works in another port!

Great suggestion Eyesee! :thumbsup: I recommend you try that too colin! :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users