Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating a forum

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 altair05

altair05

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:17 PM

I would like to start a forum. The idea sounds interesting. I've browsed through google, but does anyone have a recommendation on how to get started?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:21 PM

What programming experience do you have?

#3 altair05

altair05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:27 PM

Minimal (Java). I was hoping for a site that offered the ability to manipulate options, so a kind of pre-built forum. Does that make sense Sort of like a forum hosting site.

I have looked quite a few sites up on google, but I though it would best to ask an expert on bleeping computer considering they are a forum as well.

Edited by altair05, 24 April 2010 - 12:29 PM.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:37 PM

I may be confused; when you say you want to create a forum, I assume you want to roll one from scratch. If you just want to start a forum using free forum software, then just pick one. There are so many different forum packages that it is impossible to comment on any of them. We also have no way of knowing what your needs are either. I know this isn't a helpful answer, but it is sort of like asking us to help you figure out what car to buy when there are hundreds of models, and no idea if you are hauling cattle or just going back and forth to work.

#5 altair05

altair05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:40 PM

Actually that did help. You gotta start somewhere. I don't think starting from scratch for me is a good idea yet though.

#6 carri

carri

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 04:48 PM

I don't know if this is the type of thing you are looking for altair05, but here are a few examples of the free website software that you don't really need to know any programming language for -

http://www.invisionfree.com/
http://www.webs.com/
http://www.zetaboards.com/
(These software will give someone with minimal java programming experience the opportunity to maybe try out the little bit of java that you know, but with a lot of pre-programmed stuff at your disposal.)
It really depends what type of forum you want to create. There is so much out there to choose from. If you want to sell things or create a business; http://www.homestead.com/ is not bad for beginners. Hope this helps, good luck!

Edited by carri, 25 April 2010 - 05:15 PM.

Posted Image
Hug someone today and get on their nerves!

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:02 AM

Well carri has given awsome links. I am going to try them myself. ty carri :thumbsup:

But if you want your own web site domain name then you need these things : a domain name, a web site hosting service provider, a forum CMS(content management software).

Some web site hosts can install forum software for you. If your host cannot, you can install it yourself. Just read the documentation of the forum software and follow steps.

You can get domain name from a registrar like www.godaddy.com. They also provide web hosting service or you can choose from tons of others. Look for a web host which offers forum CMS - that way you can have commercial forum software on your web site for free. There are free web hosting providers too but I dont know if they support installing forum software.

If you do not want commercial forum software, then you can get OpenSource forum CMS from here : http://php.opensourcecms.com/scripts/show....&cat=Forums

For installing any Forum CMS, your web host should be able to provide support for a SQL based database system like mySQL, postgreSQL, MSSQL etc. It should also support scripting language like PHP, ASP etc in which the forum CMS is written.

Edited by Romeo29, 27 April 2010 - 08:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users