Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can someone attack you computer?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CalusBlade

CalusBlade

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:01 PM

Yea so I finally got rid of some unwanted guess in my computer. People form here and my friends helped me get rid of it. I just wanna know if someone can attack your computer if your using a wireless network. I used my public library's wireless after a little while programs I never installed such as "Windows Anti Malware 2010" started to scan. Each time I X it out it would come back and scan again. I looked at one of to "so called infected" folders and found nothing. So I just wanna know if someone can attack your computer when using a network. Is there a way to prevent it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:09 PM

yes it is very possible especially on a public wifi network.

Some ways to prevent this is to install an antivirus program such as avast! or avira.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:12 PM

how about norton?

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:15 PM

I don't use norton nor do i recommend it because it slows down your computer and it is expensive. but you can use it if you wish. But like I said earlier i think avast! is much better.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:35 AM

That program was not installed by some attacker. You picked it up when you went to a site. You might have clicked something without knowing it. Yes you can get hacked when using a public wireless connection but its unlikely. Just don't do anything financial while connected to a public network.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:12 PM

The trouble is with Public wireless connections such as in airports, librarys, trains etc is that the connection is open and data is not encrypted so anyone with a packet sniffer can sniff your data and read what you are sending over the internet and with the right software hack your email and so on.
If you must use a public router you should consider using vpn software to encrypt the connection so no cracker can sniff your traffic.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#7 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:43 PM

In addition to using a decent antivirus program, you might also want to try the free version of SpywareBlaster.

It is a program designed to help block spyware, adware, browser hijackers, etc. This will give you an additional layer of protection.

Although it is safe to use SpywareBlaster in addition to your antivirus program, please make sure you use only ONE antivirus program at a time, as using more than one simultaneously will cause you serious problems.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users