Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus blocking spyware programs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DSeago

DSeago

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:08 AM

My internet connection slowed down significantly a couple of months ago and I suspected a virus. However my virus scan (ESET; and now IOBit Security 360) have not found anything. What the virus has done:

1. Blocked access to AnitMalware Bytes, Spyware S&D, Super Anti spyware.
2. Blocked me from downloading these programs for a reinstall with rename.
3. Blocked access to an external hard drive (at least I think this is the case)
4. Slowed my internet speed from 4m to typically less than 1m.

I ran RKill to see if processes could be stopped, but the only process that was stopped was RKill itself.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:42 AM

Hi,

Do you have a cd or flash drive that you can put the MBAM and SAS on so you can try to install from there instead of downloading it on the suspected infected computer? I am assuming you already tried renaming all the MBAM or SAS setup files to something like explorer.exe or winlogon.exe and then trying the setup? Another excellent scanning program is Dr.Web CureIt which can be downloaded for free from http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/

One option would be to try to start in safe mode and then try and run SAS or MBAM. Have you tried that yet? You can get into safe mode by restarting your computer and tapping F8 when the computer is starting. If you time it right, you will then see a screen with white text that will allow you to use the arrow keys to select safe mode or safe mode with networking among other options. I would try safe mode with networking first, and if that doesn't work, you should try basic safe mode. Then try to install and run both SAS and MBAM.

Let me know if that works or helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users