Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Reinstalling XP

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Julie1971

Julie1971

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:24 AM

Maybe you can help me out? I am having a similar problem, but after I had my computer cleaned from a virus that was redirecting any searches when in IE 7.0, my computer started acting crazy and Windows XP would not start. I was told to do a format and reinstall XP again. I did get the CD to run and format the hd but when it reboots after installing now I get the error must boot from a CD no OS installed. But if I run the WIN XP CD again it tells me WIN XP is already installed. Could this be a bad hard drive? It is a 7 year old hard drive and has been formatted a few times.

Running WIN XP professional on a whte box. Mother board is M7VIG 400

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:20 AM

Did you delete the previous partitions on the drive...before attempting to do a clean install? If not, I suggest doing so.

Please copy and post the exact wording of any error message received...and post same.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 April 2010 - 09:21 AM.

#3 Julie1971

Julie1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:00 PM

Yes I did delete partitions and create new for the install. I'll run again and post the exact wording now.

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:12 PM

what kind of computer is it? A dell maybe?

You may have deleted the diagnostic and recovery partitions and installed xp on a partition that is not marked active.

Maybe not. Tell us what the computer brand and model is or motherboard model number

#5 Julie1971

Julie1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:14 PM

boot sequence is (and I checked before booting) HDD0,CDROM,CDROM.

No longer getting the error that hard drive failed, now getting after a very long boot time

"Boot From CD: Disk boot failure, insert system disc and press enter."

Of course when I press enter with no disc in CD drive I get the same error again.

#6 Julie1971

Julie1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:15 PM

This is a white box, no make and the mother board is Mainboard M7VIG 400

#7 Julie1971

Julie1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:19 PM

hard drive is a western digital purchased aftermarket. This was an old WIN2000 whitebox that was built that I replaced motherboard on 5 years ago and replaced the hard drive 6 years ago before the new motherboard. Four years ago updated to WINXP. Kept this harddrive with new motherboard when purchased 5 years ago.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:29 PM

Reinstall Windows XP again after downloading the Western Digital Data Life Guard tools and perform a complete full drive test and low level format.

#9 Julie1971

Julie1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

would that be something I have to download form the Internet? I do not have a cd with any info. for the hard drive.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:55 PM

You can use this page...to find the appropriate diagnostic for your drive.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...1=5&lang=en

Louis

#11 Julie1971

Julie1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 05:50 PM

Thank you very much. did this and got the reinstall to work etc..and it is up and running XP now. The Life Guard and the low level format ran and then I installed WIN XP from the cd with no further issues. Thank you ~you techs are super!

Edited by Julie1971, 25 April 2010 - 05:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users