Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Audio Device Dell Inspirion 2200

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 missvickie125

missvickie125

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:19 AM

Hello,

This is been a problem that I've not had any success solving on my own. I'm hoping that you all may be able to help. It's been about a year now and I'd really like to have my sound back. To be honest, I tried a few things and didn't keep a log of what I did. I've only been sporadic about attacking this. I did however do a total do over in January with the CD's that came with it. Not sure what the term for it is but it was like turning it one for the first time. Still no sound. I was thinking that those CD's should have the appropriate driver for the audio. In some of my online research, I read that Microsoft would only support the sound card for a limited amount of time and then you'd have to download a file from the manufatcuter of the sound card. I was reluctant because I wasn't sure if that was accurate info. So, if there's anyone out there that has heard of this problem or had experience with this I'd be happy to hear your comments.

Thank for listening!

Vickie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 missvickie125

missvickie125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:12 AM

Ok, I went to the Dell site to install the driver for the Sigmatel device. When I go to install I get a message that says the device is not found. Does that mean that the device is dead?

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:25 AM

what operating system is it running on? I am guessing windows XP?

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#4 missvickie125

missvickie125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:37 AM

Yes, it is XP Home edition

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:52 PM

You downloaded the R99254.exe file from Dell?

Inspiron 2200 Drivers

Louis

#6 missvickie125

missvickie125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:09 PM

Yes I did download that file. When I went to run it, I got the following error

"Device object not present, restart the system and run set up again"

I did restart but I'm not sure what setup the error refers to, maybe that's what I'm missing?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:48 PM

FWIW: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forum...6/19398912.aspx

What I would do:

Go to Device Manager (Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter) and ensure that there is no sound device listed under Sound, Video and Game Controllers. If there is a device listed as AC97 or Sigmatel anything, uninstall it. If there is any Sigmatel program listed in Add/Remove Programs, I would also uninstall it.

Run chkdsk /r on the system partition.

After the system reboots from successful conclusion of chkdsk /r command...I would double-click the downloaded driver (which should install the files automatically). I would check the Dell instructions for installing to be sure.

Louis

#8 missvickie125

missvickie125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:15 PM

Ok, I did not see anything Sigmatel under Sound, Video and Game Controllers

What was there was this:

Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Video Codecs

I'm not sure how to go about running "chkdsk /r on the system partition". Please advise.

Thanks for your help! Going to bed. Will check in the am!

Vickie

#9 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:22 PM

to run chkdsk /r hit the windows logo key and the r key then type cmd in the run box then click ok then type chkdsk /r (notice the space between chkdsk and /r) then hit enter then schedule it for next windows start by typing y. then restart windows and let it run.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#10 missvickie125

missvickie125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:27 PM

Hey,

I ran the chksk /r and it was successful. I tried to run the 99254 file again and got the same error.

"Device object not present, restart the system and run set up again"

Any idea what run set up is?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users