Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

strange never seen before messages on pc

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 frmarine

frmarine

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:10 AM

os>xp>sp3: my relatives pc was working fine on wed.morning/afternoon. turned it on thur morn & got a message on desktop "dcom service has a problem, pc needs to restart". restarted & got another message saying " since windows was first activated, hardware on pc as changed significantly.due to these changes, windows must be reactivated in 3 days, do you want to reactivate now?. the only hardware change involved installing an exact duplicate intel motherboard 2 months ago. no problems there, didn't have to reformat. been running fine. when pc restarted , the green start menu button reverted to classic menu. changed it back & lost the my doc, network, & my computer icons, but reappeared when i switched back. i can open firefox but can't surf. can't open ie, or mbam, or mcafee virus/firewall app. ran sas but nothing came up. when i open network icon to view connections, the page is blank, nothing showing. the led lights are working on back of pc. ran "ping 127.0.0.1 from command prompt & no packets were lost. wonder if network card is bad though. pc is 4 or 5 yrs old. when i right click on any service & click properties, nothing happens. same thing happens when i check the network adapter in device mgr. can't open xp sys restore, message saying " sys restore is not protected, need to restart pc". i have geswall security app installed & tried to open it & message says " it has expired, needs to be updated", but no new version is out. tried to uninstall geswall, but new message says" windows installer is not working". in services its set to manual. never had a problem with it. i know malware can get in through sys restore, but i would think that hopefully mcafee & geswall would've prevented something from installing. i manually updated windows xp updates on monday, & i've read before that some updates can cause problems.i hooked my own pc up to type this. we have router but haven't had time to set it up. i've been switching pc's back in forth for awhile now,so i doubt that unhooking her pc would cause any problems. i have an xp cd with my pc, but i don't want to have to reformat. i'm not real pc savy, but is there something i could run from a command prompt to check or repair? what would i go to if i have to boot from the xp cd in order to try a fix that way? i guess i need to know what caused it in the first place in order to find a solution. I'm at a lost here. SORRY for the long post. THANX for your time/help anyone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:36 AM

<<...i know malware can get in through sys restore,...>>

I think it would be more accurate to say that malware which is already on a system...can remain on said system, by virtue of being captured during the SR process.

Can you boot into the system normally?

Can you boot into safe mode?

Activation messages...need to be resolved with Microsoft by users.

<<..."dcom service has a problem, pc needs to restart".>>

I see nothing on such an error message. Is that the exact wording?

Louis

#3 frmarine

frmarine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:56 AM

luis, thanx for the reply. i can boot normally to desktop, haven't tried safe mode yet. i can't remember the exact wording for the dcom message though. never had any problems like this before. the problem pc is custom made, 4-5 yrs old, & didn't come with an xp cd. i have one with mine though. i run sec. apps often, even anti-rootkit apps, & nothing bad comes up. if these messages are the result of the exact motherboard switch, i would think that this would've happened 2 months ago when i did the change over. this just came out of the blue.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:29 AM

Possible, not probable...a failing CMOS battery tends to make Windows do strange things. I would check the time/date data reflected in the BIOS, since it determines the dates assigned files and operations. When those dates get mixed up on files, problems can result.

Louis

#5 frmarine

frmarine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:38 AM

thanx, i'll check it out. when i turned it on yesterday, the windows msg. said i have 1 day left till i have to reactivate. who knows what will happen when i turn it on today. nothing personal, i'm gonna try & shorten my original post & put it out on some microsoft forum somewhere to see if anyone has any ideas.

#6 Rachel1786

Rachel1786

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:04 AM

could you problem have been caused by the mcafee update deleting svchost.exe? it sounds pretty similar to what i'm dealing with and all my problems started thursday (mcafee update happened wednesday night i believe) you may want to check make sure that is the problem before doing anything drastic here is the post http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/311599/how-to-restore-svchostexe-for-those-affected-by-the-w32wecorla-mcafee-update/

#7 frmarine

frmarine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:37 PM

THANX rachel1786 for the info. i didn't see your post till mon afternoon 3:30pm. i can boot up normally to the desktop on my relatives pc(which is the one with the problem). sounds like from posts on the link you provided, some folks can't boot up. i linked up to the mcafee solution for home users & am going to copy it to a cd & hope it works. THANX again. HOPE it works for you too. good luck.

Edited by frmarine, 26 April 2010 - 03:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users