Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Difficulty with video file playback.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TQUAD

TQUAD

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:05 AM

In need of help opening and playing different video files,
When I download various types of video files with numbers after them I am unable to get them to play. For example, if the file is labeled 'Samplevideo.A7-B2z.avi.001' it will not play. If I rename it and drop the 001 it will not play as a normal avi file. No matter what I do it doesn't work. If the file has 'html' after it I have no idea as to what to do. The same is true for rar and zip files with numbers after them. I haven't been able to find any help online because I really don't know what to ask or look for. I use Windows Media Player for almost all my video playback except for flv files. Because none of the downloads that claim they will allow WMP to play flv files has worked I have to use Nero, which I don't particularly care for. Any help or instructions will be really appreciated.
TQUAD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:00 AM

Once you have extracted the files from the zip files, they should play, unless you have a corrupt download.

The free program Irfanview plays most formats, (including FLV files in fullscreen), provided you also download the plugins.

http://www.irfanview.com/

HTML documents describe web pages
HTML documents contain HTML tags and plain text
HTML documents are also called web pages

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:49 AM

FWIW: I believe that files which exhibit two file extensions...are often viewed as malware files. From wiki on file extensions:

"A further downside is that hiding such information can become a security risk[2]. This is because on a filename extensions reliant system all usable files will have such an extension (for example all JPEG images will have ".jpg" or ".jpeg" at the end of their name), so seeing file extensions would be a common occurrence and users may depend on them when looking for a file's format. By having file extensions hidden a malicious user can create an executable program with an innocent name such as "Holiday photo.jpg.exe". In this case the ".exe" will be hidden and a user will see this file as "Holiday photo.jpg", which appears to be a JPEG image, unable to harm the machine save for bugs in the application used to view it. However, the operating system will still see the ".exe" extension and thus will run the program, which is then able to cause harm and presents a security issue. To further trick users, it is possible to store an icon inside the program, as done on Microsoft Windows, in which case the operating system's icon assignment can be overridden with an icon commonly used to represent JPEG images, making such a program look like and appear to be called an image, until it is opened that is. This issue requires users with extensions hidden to be vigilant, and never open files which seem to have a known extension displayed despite the hidden option being enabled (since it must therefore have 2 extensions, the real one being unknown until hiding is disabled). This presents a practical problem for Windows systems where extension hiding is turned on by default."

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users