Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Folders converted into Shortcuts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dreison

dreison

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:53 AM

Hi

I feel a bit embarrassed posting as I have always been able to fix these annoying virus related problems through the help of Forums like this one without actually posting.

Virus origin: USB hard drive

Symptoms: Folders converted into shortcuts, CMD won't run

So after much research it appears to be related to the autorun.inf virus but repeated attempts to delete these files using the safe mode command line editor, haven't solved the problem. I should add that I have infected 2 laptops, 2 external drives and a flash drive. So I'm starting to feel a bit confused and distressed, I would really appreciate any help.....

EDIT: Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 24 April 2010 - 09:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:23 AM

Hi,

Have you tried running MalwareBytes AntiMalware or SUPERAntispyware yet? If I'm not mistaken, the files that are involved by the autorun virus are autorun.inf, ntdelect.com and kavo.exe. Notice that it's ntdelect.com and not ntdetect.com

Are you saying that you have tried deleting those files in safe mode with no success? Have you tried the recovery console yet?

I found this link that might or might not be helpful, but I thought I would share it with you just in case. http://www.techgravy.net/2008/01/manual-de...orun-virus.html

#3 dreison

dreison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:05 AM

:thumbsup: thanks certifiedgeek! this process lead me in the right direction.

Only two problems remain, clicking on "my computer" icon doesn't do anything and I am unable to restore my hidden folders to "unhidden" as the hide option box is selected and grey out, any more help would be great

#4 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:24 AM

Glad to get you in the right direction! :thumbsup:

What antivirus program are you using? Did you ever run Malwarebytes or SUPERAntispyware? You should only have one antivirus program installed at one time, but if you would like to see a list of some that are available, look here at step 1 for a list.

My next steps would be to make sure you have an updated antivirus program installed, and then run a complete scan with it.

Then as a final check, run an online scanner such as BitDefender.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users