Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Protecting Files - 2 Computers - XP and W7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:44 AM

I have two computers, a desktop at home (XP Pro) and a laptop that I take into my office (Windows 7.) I would like to protect one particular folder in two ways. First, I want to password protect my sensitive business folder so nobody wandering into my office can access that information. And I also want to encrypt a few folders at home so my personal data has a level of protection from internet intrusion. I'll be sharing these folders between both computers, an XP and Windows 7.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M332

M332

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:20 PM

On XP you could just lock the desktop by password where no one could access the computer by pressing the Windows button + L but I don't have win7 so I don't know if that works on it or not. You could try and see. You may get direct recommendations later on but until then if you don't want to lock your desktop then I'd search on cnet for free password protection and encryption programs and compare the user reviews to see which ones would be the best to download.

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:22 PM

the windows+L will work on windows 7 as well.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#4 M332

M332

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:25 PM

Good to know, thanks. :thumbsup:

#5 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 443 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:25 AM

As I wrote: I would like to protect one particular folder.

I only want to keep ONE folder protected. I don't want to have to login every time I want to use the computer for normal functions.

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:30 AM

ok here are two i found Caution YOU need to read the instructions on the one you chose, ok here they are they are free--> http://www.wincry.com/ and http://www.axantum.com/AxCrypt/

Edited by computerxpds, 25 April 2010 - 09:30 AM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#7 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:51 AM

Since you have XP Pro, this will work for the XP machine: EFS (Encrypting File System)

You didn't say which version of Win 7 you have. Win 7 Pro, Ultimate and Enterprise also support EFS. If you have a different version of Win 7, you will need to find a 3rd party app, you can use google to find one.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users