Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermediate Distribution Frames

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AndreasNHagen

AndreasNHagen

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:30 AM

Anyone with thoughts on what an Intermediate Distribution Frame is. Please let me know as to where this is used and what purpose it might serve.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:32 AM

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,...i213773,00.html Don't copy and paste that into your homework =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:05 PM

In addition to the above definition, Intermediate frames are generally used to house distribution hardware such as Ethernet switches and concentrators in order to keep the twisted pair cable length from the switch to the user desktop under the 330' (100 Meter) Ethernet spec limit. In multistory buildings you almost always have at least one IDF per floor, and in larger buildings there may be several per floor. Almost all wired infrastructure - data, phones, alarms, video, etc. - all "homes" to the closest IDF closet, and then is trunked to the MDF, usually on the ground floor or basement. With Ethernet the trunk is usually accomplished using a fiber optic high speed cable (or a few) in a star or ring architecture, which is usually referred to as the building backbone. In other cases the switches may be "Daisy-Chained" between floors with copper cable, called (uniquely enough) "riser" cable.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:33 PM

In addition to the above definition, Intermediate frames are generally used to house distribution hardware such as Ethernet switches and concentrators in order to keep the twisted pair cable length from the switch to the user desktop under the 330' (100 Meter) Ethernet spec limit. In multistory buildings you almost always have at least one IDF per floor, and in larger buildings there may be several per floor. Almost all wired infrastructure - data, phones, alarms, video, etc. - all "homes" to the closest IDF closet, and then is trunked to the MDF, usually on the ground floor or basement. With Ethernet the trunk is usually accomplished using a fiber optic high speed cable (or a few) in a star or ring architecture, which is usually referred to as the building backbone. In other cases the switches may be "Daisy-Chained" between floors with copper cable, called (uniquely enough) "riser" cable.

Orecomm, I am just curious, so don't mind me asking or take any personal offense please.

Where did you get your knowledge from?

I am not saying your advice is inadequate or anything but it sounds like you have a lot of network related back ground under your belt. :thumbsup:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:53 PM

Mr. Bruce,
Just a bit of background in networks. About 35 years worth. Network architecture and design, engineering, consulting. I designed campus, building, and WAN networks for a bunch of Fortune 500 outfits, a couple of Colleges, and one fair-to-middling sized nation. Currently I do some consulting and teach advanced 802.11 courses. I also help a buddy in town when he needs help installing cable from time to time (I'm not picky about what I do as long as I like the folks I get to work with). So I've seen plenty of MDF/IDF rooms, from design to implementation.

By the way, the picture is from about 1980. I was managing a group at Tandem Computers at the time. That's an ADM2 "intelligent" terminal on the desk.

Edited by Orecomm, 25 April 2010 - 09:55 PM.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:29 PM

Mr. Bruce,
Just a bit of background in networks. About 35 years worth. Network architecture and design, engineering, consulting. I designed campus, building, and WAN networks for a bunch of Fortune 500 outfits, a couple of Colleges, and one fair-to-middling sized nation. Currently I do some consulting and teach advanced 802.11 courses. I also help a buddy in town when he needs help installing cable from time to time (I'm not picky about what I do as long as I like the folks I get to work with). So I've seen plenty of MDF/IDF rooms, from design to implementation.

By the way, the picture is from about 1980. I was managing a group at Tandem Computers at the time. That's an ADM2 "intelligent" terminal on the desk.

35 years, that's a lot of experience for sure, Ok I do not want to go off-topic here or hijack the thread, but thanks very much for your reply. :thumbsup:

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 April 2010 - 12:30 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users