Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

onboard VGA problem/ no monitor signal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 iammikerodriguez

iammikerodriguez

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:05 AM

Been stuck on this for a whole. Im fixing my friends dell dimension desktop. The computer boots up, no beeps, windows starts. but i have no signal whatsoever from my monitor. I checked if the ram or any cables were loose and nothing. im using on-board vga but i even tried inserting an extra pci express video card i hard laying around as well, and still no signal. i replaced the RAM and still no signal. then i tried with 4 different monitors and all of different brands and still no signal.

The computer was working fine and one day my friend went to go turn it on and no signal at all.

The only thing i havent tried is replacing the power supply, do you think i should give it a try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:14 AM

Welcome to Bleepingcomputer!

Ok what OS are you using on this computer?

Seems strange you've tried different video cards and monitors and still no signal.

I was wondering how you know windows is booting up, can you hear it chiming away through the sound card?

Edited by MrBruce1959, 24 April 2010 - 03:15 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 iammikerodriguez

iammikerodriguez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:25 AM

its on windows xp and yes windows is booting up. my friend was using the computer, shut it down normally, turned it on the next day and this started happening.

speakers are connected to the computer and i hear the windows startup sounds.

do you think it can be a mobo problem? everything thats connect to the mobo seems to be working fine. i think the only thing i havent really tried is changing the power supply, but wouldnt a fault psu affect everything else(hdd, cd drives, mobo itsself)?

btw, thanks for the help :]

Edited by iammikerodriguez, 24 April 2010 - 03:29 AM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:50 AM

Well it is your choice if you want to replace the power supply, I wouldn't advise against it.

Does your Dell have 4 lights on the back with the letters A B C D?
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 comp_tech

comp_tech

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:24 AM

hello mrbruce, on my case yes there is power at the back of the pc. what next is good to do to resolve the problem?
i appreciate any help from any of the members.

#6 comp_tech

comp_tech

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:50 AM

hello mrbruce, on my case yes there is power at he back of the pc. what next is good to do to resolve the problem?
i appreciate any help from any of the members.

any help please, i am having a no display signal with the back of the computers led labeled A B C D giving a light. what could be the possible remedy of this problem?????????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users