Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Incosistency in Categories of cable

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AndreasNHagen

AndreasNHagen

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:37 AM

I have seen the cables Cat 3 - Cat 7 classified as UTP cables. But now I've learnt that there are some UTP cables that have shielding. Shouldn't cable types like CAT 6 with "each wire pair wrapped in foil and foil to cover the wire pair bundles..." be also classed as STP?

Please help clarify.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:28 AM

I am fairly sure you will get a 4 paragraph answer to your question but it boils down to: They come in both flavors. Normally if you walk into a Best Buy and buy a Cat6 cable its going to be UTP its just a lot more common. But you can get Cat6 in STP too.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:08 AM

Technically, there are no shielded UTP cables. There are shielded twisted pair cables (STP), and unshielded twisted pair cables (UTP), but shielded UTP (SUTP??) is an oxymoron. Sometimes the term UTP is used as shorthand for just twisted pair. It's not correct, but there you go. Technically, barbed wire qualifies as UTP as well, but I'm not sure what Category rating it might have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users