Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google searches redirected

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 AdamC243

AdamC243

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:29 AM

Hi,

Yesterday, I somehow managed to get myself some nasty sort of virus. At first, I wasn't even able to run virus scans or Malwarebytes to get rid of it, so I attempted a system restore. The system restore seemed to solve most of my problems, except my AVG resident shield constantly popped up telling me there was a threat. After running both an AVG scan and Malewarebytes, that problem, too, seems to have subsided.

Now, however, when I clink on links in Google, I am redirected to other websites. I have run Malwarebytes and AVG virus scan several times each to no avail. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AdamC243

AdamC243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:40 AM

It seems that the link redirecting has stopped for some reason. Seeing as I didn't take any further action to try to get rid of it, I'm assuming that whatever was causing it is still on my computer.

#3 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:19 AM

My suspicion is it will show it's ugly head again. Definitely don't do any online banking or anything else that contains secure information on your computer until you are sure it's gone. Have you tried running SUPERAntispyware yet? Another one that might fix it for you is Hitman Pro.

You might have some malware that is purposely hiding from the standard malware scanners. This might require you look at some more advanced tools with the supervision of a malware expert in this forum.

#4 AdamC243

AdamC243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:31 AM

You were right, sure enough it started redirecting my searches again. I don't know why it stopped for a while. I haven't tried running those programs, I will give it a shot now. Thanks for the feedback.

#5 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:06 PM

Your welcome. The chances for those programs I mentioned working are about 50/50, but Hitman Pro has removed some pretty nasty viruses for me before which is why I at least mentioned it for you. Sometimes critical system files get replaced and Hitman can even copy a known good one once the bad one is deleted which makes it stand out in my opinion. :thumbsup:

If those don't work, then I would move over here and follow the instructions for further help which will probably involve more advanced tools than this particular section of the forums is usually for.

I also would recommend making sure you have a backup of what's really important to you just in case things turn south.

#6 AdamC243

AdamC243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:37 PM

Well, I scanned my computer with SAS, and it found and removed some tracking cookies and adware. However, my Google searches were still being redirected. I then tried scanning with Hitman and during the scan it says that it found a trojan, but as soon as it finds it, I get a message saying that Hitman has encountered an error and needs to close. I tried scanning several times with Hitman and always got the same result. This happens as soon as the scan finds the trojan.

#7 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:54 PM

If you look at the info in the scanning box, it should mention the file that is the supposed Trojan. Which file is it? I think Hitman will run in safe mode, but I'm not 100% sure. Have you tried it in safe mode? You can get to it by tapping F8 when the computer is first booting and then selecting the safe mode with networking option.

Something else I would recommend that has helped me in the past running Hitman, is doing the licensing in the beginning instead of the end of the scan. You can do this by clicking "Settings" and then "License" and then click to activate your free 30 day license.

#8 AdamC243

AdamC243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:02 PM

I have not tried in safe mode. I just scanned with AVG again though and it found and removed 2 trojans. I'm going to try to run Hitman again, and if I get the same problem I'll try what you suggested.

#9 AdamC243

AdamC243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:05 PM

I just ran Hitman again and encountered the same problem. The suspected trojan file is called asd5BD.tmp.exe.

#10 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

Where is the file located? C:\Windows\system32 ? Did Hitman give it a name or just called it a trojan?

#11 AdamC243

AdamC243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:44 PM

It's located at C:\Documents and Settings\AdamC\Local Settings\Temp. Hitman doesn't give it a name, it just says it's a trojan. Also, I ran Hitman in safe mode and encountered the same problem.

#12 AdamC243

AdamC243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:03 PM

Hi,

Yesterday, I somehow managed to get myself some nasty sort of virus. At first, I wasn't even able to run virus scans or Malwarebytes to get rid of it, so I attempted a system restore. The system restore seemed to solve most of my problems, except my AVG resident shield constantly popped up telling me there was a threat. After running both an AVG scan and Malewarebytes, that problem, too, seems to have subsided.

Now, however, when I clink on links in Google, I am redirected to other websites. I have run several removal tools, including AVG, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, and Hitman. These programs found and removed multiple tracking cookies and trojans, but the search link redirect problem persists. Please help.

#13 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:04 PM

I'm thinking you might a rootkit based virus which could be hiding files and keeping the standard scanners from doing their job correctly. You could try a manual scan using malwarebytes or superantispyware by right clicking the folder C:\Documents and Settings\AdamC and then selecting the option to scan with the mentioned programs.

Depending on much more time you want to spend on this, you could also try using another free antivirus program call Microsoft Security Essentials which has served me well up to date. Just make sure you uninstall your AVG before you install it.

Something else that might help is to read this post which also mentions using the rkill program before doing any scans such as Hitman which might kill the malware long enough for you to finish the scans. The post also mentions another great free program called Dr.Web CureIt which is also worth trying.

Unfortunately, if that doesn't work, you will probably need to seek assistance here which will allow you to post your logs and run more advanced tools with the supervision of a malware expert.

Edited by certifiedgeek, 24 April 2010 - 02:15 PM.

#14 AdamC243

AdamC243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:10 PM

Yeah, I just posted my problem on that forum. Thanks for trying to help me though, I appreciate it.

#15 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:27 PM

Your welcome and thanks for allowing me to try and help. Most of the malware floating out there today is pretty nasty and long gone are the days of a couple of basic scans fixing everything. Good luck and, if you don't mind, let me know what you find out on the other side via a PM.

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users