Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All applications are blocked from internet access, yet browsing etc works fine. Vista 64bit

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joeleeriepa

joeleeriepa

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:42 PM

Hey all,

I had an annoying virus the other day, and ended up removing it with MalawareByte in safe mode. But all of a sudden I noticed when I tried to connect to the iTunes store it instantly gave me an error saying "connection timed out, Check network settings", yet my internet (wired) works fine browsing with firefox etc. Then I noticed when I launched Steam it wouldn't display anything on the Steam store except a white screen that says "Navigation to this store was canceled". Same thing happened with every application I tried that uses the internet for updates etc. I even tried Windows update, and I go the same thing.

Like I said- The internet itself works fine, Browsing and downloading have no Issue.

I'm running Vista 64bit, current updates installed as of a week or so ago. Other computers on my network don't have the problem, so it must be something with this machine.

I don't have any antivirus software running, and Windows firewall/security center is completely turned off.

It's probably something simple, but I've messed with every network setting I can think of to no avail. I haven't found an answer to this specific problem anywhere, but people with similar problems seemed to have luck with putting their Vista disc in and doing a repair. My copy of Vista is completely genuine, but it may take me all weekend to hunt for my disc.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:10 PM

Are you sure you are 100% clean?

#3 joeleeriepa

joeleeriepa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:46 PM

I'm pretty sure, although I agree that would definitely be a possibility.

The last full scan I ran with Malawarebyte found nothing. Of course now programs like malawarebyte and spyware doctor can't get the latest definition updates because they have the same problem the other applications have with updating.

To further illustrate the problem- I can't upload anything. Not even a photo to Flickr. It gives me an error every time.

If it is still possibly a virus, or a leftover from a virus, do you recommend any freeware app?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:48 PM

Can you run http://www.gmer.net and post the results?

#5 joeleeriepa

joeleeriepa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:25 PM

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to help. I really appreciate it.

I ran GMER and it came up with nothing. "Did not find any system modifications"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users