Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something happened to my BIOS

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 prillio

prillio

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:45 PM

Ok so heres my specs:

IBM Thinkpad T40
512 MB Pentium M

Anyways my story:
I was trying to install Ubuntu along with XP
I installed ubuntu but when i tried to dual boot it, it gave me GRUB error 18
I looked online and someone said that diabling IDE "something" fixed the problem
So i, not exactly a computer whiz, went to BIOS and disabled two IDE things in the boot up order
Now when i boot my computer it will go to the IBM screen with click blue button for BIOS but when I do all that happens is a black screen
When i dont try to go to BIOS, it says
Intel Boot Agent
Media test failure please check cable
then it says operating system could not be found.

Then it just reboots.

Anyone have a soultion to this?
And yes I do have the recoery console on a disk
Any help would be appreciated
Please move this if I put it on the wrong board

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:05 PM

You seem to have disabled your IDE Drives in BIOS?

You could try removing the Battery to drain the CMOS, it looks like a silver coin in most Computers. Make sure that All Power is disconnected from your Machine and that you grab Metal on the Case to drain any Static Electricity from yourself. That will revert the Computer BIOS back to Default settings as when it was made. Afterwards you will need to reset the Date and Time in the BIOS.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:39 PM

For educational purposes: T40 Bios simulator

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-55142.html

The ibm bios is designed for secure deployment in large customer rollouts. If you make a mistake forget the bios or hdd password, it cannot be reset or cleared.

poke around and see if you recognize the section you changed and we might be able to give you some useful advice.

#4 prillio

prillio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:34 AM

Hmm I can try to look for the CMOS thing but I really dont want to make a mistake on accidently damging my laptop physically

As for the simulator, its great here we go:

go to startup

then boot

and what i did was <x> excluded IDE HDD0 and IDE HDD1

Thanks for the help

#5 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:13 PM

You are Welcome, Glad it Helped.

If you are really concerned on Damaging it physically, it would not be expensive to get a Shop Tech to do it for you, to drain and reset the CMOS.

Just remember that we do have a Section here where you can get good Advice about Ubuntu, which is Linux based.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/11/linux-unix/

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 25 April 2010 - 07:29 PM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#6 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:10 AM

some IBM laptops will respond to holding down the f-1 key while powering on to get into the bios.

Just be wary, if you set a bios access password and then forget it, you will have to replace the motherboard to get into it.

Most of the google query's are from people who lost the bios password and are now SOL.

#7 prillio

prillio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:23 AM

I don't believe I set up a password for my BIOS

I can try holding down F1, but there is a seoerate buttin to press for BIOS :flowers: :thumbsup:

#8 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:09 PM

On several of my IBM Desktops, Boot Order is displayed by tapping F12 Key.

Ray.

What is a Dog?

#9 prillio

prillio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:38 PM

some IBM laptops will respond to holding down the f-1 key while powering on to get into the bios.

Just be wary, if you set a bios access password and then forget it, you will have to replace the motherboard to get into it.

Most of the google query's are from people who lost the bios password and are now SOL.

Oh this did the trick thanks!!!

Even on he lenovo website they only list thye blue button for my specific model

Now i just need to know how to fix error 18 on GRUB

If anyone has ay solutions please reply otherwise close this topic
I'll create a new one on the linux board

#10 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:01 AM