Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble starting windows

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 stocon

stocon

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:17 PM

Hi,
For the last couple of weeks my computer loads then freezes, then we go into safe mode a few times or just cut the power as windows oscillates but doesn't load but eventually it starts and runs like a top for hours on. It seems like it just needs to warm up. I've done system restore and once it felt like the problem was fixed but it came back. I've run chkdsk r, malawarebytes, combofix, and avast they all come up clean. I've
seen an error code 314 on windows recovery console and the one I fear the most.. disk error press ctrl,alt, delete. But only a couple of times I've reloaded my nvidea drivers and I don't know, all the other drivers. Right now it is running fine and if i turn it off it will come right back on fine but if it's off for a couple of hours.. same old things 5-6 restart and a trip to safe mode. Please any ideas , is the Hard drive dying?
TIA,
Steve

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2400 MHz (12 x 200) 4600+
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce 6100-400, AMD Hammer
2048 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT (256 MB)
SAMSUNG HD161HJ (160 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:23 PM

sounds like a hard drive problem. doe the hard drive make an odd sounds when this happens?

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 stocon

stocon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:29 PM

No, sounds good. how do I test a samsung? The site says I need a floppy, i don't even have one of those drives. i dled the exe can I just throw it on a flash drive or does the flash drive have to become bootable.

Edited by stocon, 23 April 2010 - 08:31 PM.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:37 PM

do you have an cd/dvd rw drive and some recordable cds?

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#5 stocon

stocon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:05 PM

Yes i tested it with HUTIL they had a file for cds. I got a message on the long surface scan that said "error busy, not clear" What does that mean? Seemed to keep repeating itself, all other tests passed but the long surfaced test seemed to freeze.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:21 AM

If the drive cannot pass the long test...and you are running the correct utility...then the drive has problems.

Louis

#7 stocon

stocon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:32 PM

I bought a new hard drive but I thought I'd test it again with the Samsung utility and this time everything passed even the long test. Any other suggestions on possibilities to check would be appreciated. Starting my computer is similiar to my lawn mower, 5-6 attempts then it dies a couple more times and then it runs like a top so you don't toss it.
Tia,
Steve

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:55 AM

If the hard drive checks out OK...and XP checks out OK (no indications of problems via error messages onscreen or in Event Viewer), I would be thinking power supply as a wild guess.

I'd appreciate some more detail on this error code 314 you mentioned...exact wording, what you were doing, etc.

Louis

#9 stocon

stocon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:23 PM

When it doesn't start I get errors like this in the system viewer nothing in applications or antivirus /security

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 2010-05-02
Time: 10:03:39 AM
User: N/A
Computer: LYNN-C1211BD44B
Description:
The HIDKbFlt.SvcDesc% service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

Event ID: 7001
Date: 2010-05-02
Time: 9:55:14 AM
Description:
The IPSEC Services service depends on the IPSEC driver service which failed to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

I get a few like this last one where A device attached to the system is not functioning
the recovery console won't work until the computer is warmed up and then there are now error messages and it does its job. The psu is fairly new and is one of those antec earth things, I will swap it out and see if it makes a diff.
Thx,
Steve

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:23 PM

You have a short between your motherboard and your case somewhere. I would reassemble your computer if you are comfortable doing so, making sure you have all the standoffs attached to the motherboard tray. My wife had this same issue on hers, and the short caused a chip to blow. I would also inspect your motherboard for any brownish to black areas around capacitors, chips, and resistors.

Is this a custom built machine?

#11 stocon

stocon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:09 PM

Checked the mobo, everything looks cool. It's a generic but I didn't build it.

I have changed the molex connection with the hard drive and everything seems to be running fine but I still get 1 error messages from from event viewer.

Event ID: 7000
Date: 2010-05-04
Time: 3:38:11 PM
Description:
The HIDKbFlt.SvcDesc% service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

Any idea what it could be?
Thx,
Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users