Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor and pc suddenly stopped

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 VaynardX

VaynardX

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:01 PM

Hello everyone, I have a problem: My monitor suddenly turned off while I was play a game. I had 2 other apps(google chrome and winamp) playing in the background. Then suddenly, a sudden I heard a sudden *tsk* sound( kinda like the one you hear when you turn on the AVR). So what I did was turn off the pc by holding the power button, then I turned off the avr as well. Then after 20 seconds, I turned on the pc again and it was fine. Nothing smelled burnt or anything, nothing corrupted whatsoever. So guys, what do you think could be the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:14 PM

What are the specs of your machine also is it an internal video card or on-board also by turn off was the monitor not receiving any signal or did the monitor physically turn off?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 VaynardX

VaynardX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:28 PM

^

Thanks for the quick reply. By the way my specs are as follows:

ASUS motherboard, 2gb kingston ddr2 800 ram, geforce 9400gt vid card<--that's all I can remember. Tell me if you need to know anything.

I think the monitor didnt receive any signal after the *tsk* sound and the winamp suddenly stopped playing after the tsk sound too. What could be the problem?

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:31 PM

your video card may have overheated.

to check to see if it is a little hot do this:

Download Speedfan--> http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Then install then open it and after it loads take a screen shot and post it in you next reply.

To post a screen shot do this:

In order to insert an image within a post. First you must save it to your Hard Drive.

Hit Prt scrn on your keyboard then open Microsoft paint and paste it and save it to your desktop.

You will now need to Host the image at a Photo Hosting Site.

I use and recommend Photobucket. It is a great photo hosting site, plus registration is free. Unless of course, you choose the premium service.

> Go to Photobucket
> Sign up > log-in
> Click on the > browse button. Find your image and then click > submit.

> You will then see your pic uploaded

> Three links will show under the image itself.

> Sample Album

> For a small to medium size image. Copy the IMG link.

> IMG Example: Posted Image

> For a large image. Copy the URL
> This saves on bandwidth. Pages will also load much faster for those on dial-up.

> URL Example: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/sca...18/IMG00057.jpg

> Paste the link into your post

> Note: Actually for images that are quite large, as in desktop screenshots. I use the photo hosting site ImageShack. Which is a free service as well. Since it allows a maximum image size of 1024 kb. Photobucket has a maximum allowance of only 250 kb. They will be re-sized if they are larger. And the image will not be as crisp.

ImageShack

Click on Register in the top right hand corner.
Check your e-mail for your activation link
Click on > Browse
Then click on > Host It
Then click on the link > My Images
You will now see that your image has been uploaded.
> copy eiether the Thumbnail Code for forums. The thumbnail code will create a clickable thumbnail.

Example: Clickable Thumbnail

Posted Image

> Or the Direct code. Just under the thumbnail code.

Example: Direct http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/9320/thimg000573fi.jpg

Now if you wish to insert a signature or a small image, that will show in all of your posts. You must do this.

> Copy the IMG link
> Go to your Control Panel @ Bleeping Computer
> On the left hand side go to> Personal Profile > Edit Signature
> For a signature > Paste the IMG link in the text box
> To insert a small image > Paste the IMG link eiether before or after your Signature
> For eiether choice > Click on Update Signature

Note: Images in signatures must also be no larger than 500 pixels wide X 90 pixels high. Also please keep in mind that offensive content is prohibited. This applies to both text and image's.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 VaynardX

VaynardX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:53 PM

I will wait for my brother to wake up, coz he's the one who installs the programs. By the way, if in case its really hot, what things should I do?

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:10 PM

well ill tell you if its too hot and if it is you will need to clean out the inside of the computer. because there is a possibility that there is dust inside that could heat up the graphics card.
sigcomp.png 

#7 VaynardX

VaynardX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:10 AM

^

Well most probably its dusty in there. Havent cleaned the pc for 10months. So its the graphics card getting too hot then? Is that the prob?@>@

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:59 AM

yes it most likely is clean it out and then check your temps anything above 50 degrees Celsius is to high but post your temp for the GPU any way in text for just so i see what it is if its too high.
sigcomp.png 

#9 VaynardX

VaynardX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:14 AM

My bro installed speedfan and was kind of daunted because of the many options.@.@ Therefore he deleted the program.>.< Anyway, can we install speedfan again by just using the defaults? And what does that program do?

#10 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:18 AM

yes and it tells you all of the operating temps of the system including the temp of the vid card.
sigcomp.png 

#11 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:24 AM

Did this happen only 1 time? Unless, it's a recurring issue I wouldn't worry about it. I really doubt that your video card overheated and shutdown your computer.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#12 VaynardX

VaynardX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:58 AM

^

It happened only once. Thankfully it didnt happen again.:thumbsup:

@computerxpds

Hmm, can you guide me sir on how to configure it to optimize system fans?

#13 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:03 PM

I don't really use speed fan for adjusting fans i just use it for the temp readout i would just leave the fans alone.
sigcomp.png 

#14 VaynardX

VaynardX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:48 PM

I see, in that case I will post a screenshot if ever the problem will occur again(hopefully not.^_^). Anyway, thanks for the info sir.

#15 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:50 PM

you are very welcome! :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users