Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot format/reinstall XP

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fasteddie911

fasteddie911

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:55 PM

Hi,
I had a bad virus before and cleaned it up, but it was suggested that I do a format/reinstall to completely clean my system. However, I've been having trouble booting from the cdrom. I have the windows xp home oem edition, and when i go thru the usual steps and go into the bios to boot from cdrom, nothing different happens and the computer keeps booting up like normal. I tried doing the same procedure on a windows 2000 system, and it does boot from the cd, so the cd should be good. Then I tried connecting an external cdrom, and booting from that, still nothing. Finally tried disconnecting the harddrive, and then it began to boot from the cd, but it wouldn't allow me to continue since it said no hard drive was connected, but whenever the harddrive is connected, it boots from the harddrive no matter what. Any suggestions?

Another question, I am using drivermax to save all my drivers to transfer to the clean system after I am done, is that a good program to use? I don't have all my driver discs, and I am looking for the easiest way to transfer everything over.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:14 PM

If your computer is infected, do not save drivers or any other programs from it .
Do you see Press any key to continue... ?
If your computer allows you to boot from a USB stick, then you can install Windows XP from a USB stick.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:15 PM

Check your BIOS settings. You have HDD selected as your first boot device.

#4 fasteddie911

fasteddie911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:30 PM

what would you suggest I do about the drivers and such if I don't have all the disks? I don't see any "press any key to continue prompt" though I do see options of installing or repairing the system. I have a feeling that even if i try to boot from a usb, the same result will happen, even if I change the first boot device, it always seem to be booting from harddrive unless it's physically unable to(disconnected). thanks!

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:53 PM

If you can boot from Windows 2000 CD but not from Windows XP, then there is a possibility that your XP CD is damaged or its surface is not clean. Try cleaning its surface. Check if you can read from this CD on another computer. There is no reason to suspect that USB method wont work, if done properly.

You can download latest drivers from internet. You can take help of Belarc Advisor to find out your motherboard model etc and then find related drivers from the internet. You can post system information here and we will try to help you download drivers.

#6 fasteddie911

fasteddie911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:26 PM

sorry I wasn't clear earlier, but I put the xp cd in another computer that had win2000, and the cd booted from that computer, meaning that the cd is functional and there must be something wrong with my computer. I was hoping to find a quick solution to finding all the drivers, but I guess it would be safer to download the drivers again.

#7 fasteddie911

fasteddie911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:52 PM

I want to make sure I know all drivers I have to reinstall after I reformat, how can I do that? I do have the motherboard's original cd, but which drivers will that install?

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:07 PM

what is your system specs.? IE manufacture and model?
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#9 fasteddie911

fasteddie911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:05 PM

it's been so long, I forget most of the stuff in the computer, but I ran belarc and here's what they came up with:

motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. G31MX-S2
2.67 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1L [CD-ROM drive]
WDC WD740GD-00NLR1 [Hard drive]

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:01 AM

<<I do have the motherboard's original cd, but which drivers will that install?>>

The motherboard CD installs the native drivers for that board, it will not install drivers for components which are not native to that board.

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherbo...ame=GA-G31MX-S2

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users