Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cs4 help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 digdug1120

digdug1120

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:51 PM

I am trying to apply an image as a new layer in photoshop I have an image as the background and it is locked i open a new layer and tried to paste a jpeg there but it opens a new background using the new photo and starts a new file. I tried to drag and drop the image onto the page aswell but it keeps opening as a background what am i doing wrong?:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:49 AM

Background layers are evil in PS. I usually duplicate locked background layers and delete the locked one, just to not have to mess with them.

I recommend copy-pasting into the file, or using File->Import. They should bring it in a lot easier.

Also, try saving the file as a .psd first, so its not trying to keep the photo as a .jpg or something.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 littlephoenix

littlephoenix

• Banned Spammer
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:17 PM

double click the background layer and it will convert it to a regular layer, then you can edit, move and or change location of the layer ;)

#4 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:22 AM

Your initial error is in creating a new,blank layer and trying to drag an image onto that. Not the way to go.

Open Photoshop and have the tools box, the layers pallette and nothing else visible. The screen and the layers pallette are empty.

Navigate to whereever you store your images and open one into Photoshop.
You now have an image on your screen, the tools and the layers, and in your layers is a thumbnail of the image. The word thumbnail is important, as you cannot edit a thumbnail in any way, you can only edit or work on the actual image.

Now, navigate to your pics again and open a second image. You now have two images on your screen, but the thumbnail in layers of your first image has disappeared and has been replaced with a thumbnail of your second image.

Now, look at the two images on the screen, not in layers, and notice the difference. The title bar on the first image is now "greyed out", whilst that on the second is bright and cheerful. What this is is the concept of "active" and "inactive" images, greyed out being inactive and bright being active.
You can have only one active image at a time, the other, or others if you have opened more than two, are all inactive and the layers pallette will show the thumbnail of the active image only.
You can toggle the images between active and inactive by simply clicking on the title bar of the inactive one, this will make it active, then reverse that to go back to the other image and as you click and toggle between images, so the thumbnail in the layers will toggle back and forward as appropriate to show the thumbnail of the active image and hide the thumbnail of all the inactive ones.

It will be apparent from this that as you open images to collage/montage, and you click on each different one to drag and drop or select, each will become active/inactive/active for a moment,the appropriate thumbnail will appear in layers and then change as you click/drag the next image or bit of an image.
This can give the impression that you are somehow creating thumbnails all over the place, but you are not. Layers are merely displaying the one appropriate to the then current active image.

Now, to the fun. To put one image onto another image to form a collage.
Have you two images open on the screen, one will be active, the other inactive. Click on the one you want as a background, it will become active and it's thumbnail will be in layers as a "background layer".
Do not, repeat not, make a new layer.
Click then on the image that you wish to superimpose onto that background. That image will become active, will show it's thumbnail in layers and the "original" background layer will apparently disappear. Don't worry, it is still there.
Now, go to your toolbox and select the move tool, (the wee arrow thingy up near the top), the cursor will change to the same tool icon. Click that in the centre of your active image that you wish to superimpose, and drag that image on top of the background image.
Important, drag it onto the image not into the layers pallette.
When that dragged image hits the background image, the background image will automatically become the active image, the thumbnail for the background will appear in layers and you should also get a thumbnail of the dragged image on it's own layer immediately above the background layer.

You can now click again on the title bar of the newly superimposed image (image, not layer),it will momentarily become active and display it's thumbnail in layers, click on the red cross top right hand corner to make it disappear, this will leave only your newly collaged imaged open and thus active and it's thumbnail with the new second layer will reappear, then navigate to you pics., and select the next for collaging. When that opens on the screen, it will become active, you collage will become inactive, click drag and drop onto the collage image (image not layer) and the process will repaet itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users