Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade from Vista Basic to Windows 7 Home Prem.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:42 PM

Can I do a inplace upgrade from Windows Vista Basic to Windows 7 Home Premium or will I have to do a reformat and install of Win 7. I know if I do an inplace upgrade I would be able to keep the programs, settings, etc.

I've run the Windows 7 Compability Download and it says that I can upgrade to Windows 7. Does that mean I can do the upgrade in place or do I have to do the "Custom" install.

Thanks for letting me know. I've looked all over Google but haven't come up with the answer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 401 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:25 PM

After more research, I've found that you are able to do an inplace upgrade from Vista Basic to Windows 7 Home Premium.

I hope this will help someone else that is not sure.

I will post back on how the upgrade went after tonight.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:29 PM

Take a look, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...ade?os=winvista.

Louis

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:30 PM

Yes, you can do an in-place upgrade from Vista Home Basic to W7 Home Premium: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7...iderations.aspx

However, I do not recommend in-place upgrades, as they often come with irreparable bugs and glitches that can only be resolved by a clean install.

Yes, it is easier to just do the upgrade and not have to reinstall all your programs...but you may regret it later.

I've done enough clean installs lately to where I can get a PC back up and running in the matter of about 2-3 hours.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 pc101

pc101

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:27 PM

Yes, you can do an in-place upgrade from Vista Home Basic to W7 Home Premium: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7...iderations.aspx

However, I do not recommend in-place upgrades, as they often come with irreparable bugs and glitches that can only be resolved by a clean install.

Yes, it is easier to just do the upgrade and not have to reinstall all your programs...but you may regret it later.

I've done enough clean installs lately to where I can get a PC back up and running in the matter of about 2-3 hours.

I second that .... It's so much better doing a clean install and down load just what your pc needs and save alot of storage ...
I saved about 20GB from all the junks from sony vaio ..Since Wds7 does not have alot of updates yet ...
You will be happy with all extra space .....and it runs faster ..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users