Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank Screen, No BIOS, Power Only

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jay18

Jay18

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:55 AM

Hello all...new to the forum. I have a problem I have not come across before. A customer's laptop will power on but will not display anything. The fan runs, the CD drive is active, the HDD does not spin, LEDs light up but caps lock does not function, no splash screen, no BIOS, nothing. The HDD is not defective (functions properly in another machine). Problem occurs with or without battery. I've tried resetting the BIOS to it's default settings to no avail.

Presario v6000 Laptop
Windows Vista Home

Beyond that I can't tell since I can't get in. :-)

I usually don't get stumped, but this one's got me. Thanks in advance for the help!

Jay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:16 PM

Does it have an NVidia chipset?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Jay18

Jay18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:43 PM

Yes it does. You ask this as if you know something. :-)

Edited by Jay18, 23 April 2010 - 12:49 PM.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:11 PM

There have just been a lot of NVidia chipsets that have had problems. (Google "Bumpgate"). The chips run hot, flex, and break the substrate. Hook up an external monitor to the VGA/HDMI and see if there is any output on that. If it is blank as well, try HP support online chat and follow their diagnostics (have all of your model/tag/serial numbers handy). Best case is they cover the problem and replace the motherboard under extended warranty. NVidia gave OEMs well over $300 million to fix the problem. I have had good luck with HP on this problem. I have had more than a dozen covered by them without charge. Be aware if HP does cover it, it will be replaced with the same defective motherboard with the BIOS tweeked to run the cooling fan on high all the time. Noisy and kills the battery life.

Wish you luck sir.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Jay18

Jay18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:46 PM

I get nothing on the external monitor as well. I'll try HP and let you know the results. Thanks!

#6 Jay18

Jay18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:12 PM

HP said it was out of warranty and was not covered. They didn't acknowledge the NVIDIA problem, dancing around it quite clumsily. The only fix I see at this point is getting a new MoBo for my customer. Any other route to pursue before I recommend that to them?

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:01 PM

Several have sued HP/Dell successfully in order to get their lappys fixed/replaced. If the customer wants to pursue it, and really push the complaint up the ladder, they can burn their own time on it.

Pull it apart, cover everything on mobo but the NVidia chipset with aluminum foil, get a real heat gun http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/...n&Submit=Go

heat the chip for a minute, try for around 400F (IR thermometer is your friend), or pop it in the oven for a few minutes to remelt the solder. It's a fine line between remelting the solder, and trashing the mobo components.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606658 It refers to graphics cards, but the problem, and cure, are the same.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:14 PM

Several have sued HP/Dell successfully in order to get their lappys fixed/replaced. If the customer wants to pursue it, and really push the complaint up the ladder, they can burn their own time on it.

Pull it apart, cover everything on mobo but the NVidia chipset with aluminum foil, get a real heat gun http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/...n&Submit=Go

heat the chip for a minute, try for around 400F (IR thermometer is your friend), or pop it in the oven for a few minutes to remelt the solder. It's a fine line between remelting the solder, and trashing the mobo components.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606658 It refers to graphics cards, but the problem, and cure, are the same.

Strange as it seems to some people reading the advice offered above, this proceedure does work!

It works with expansion cards as well!

If the oven proceedure is used, just make sure you remove any plastic parts from the motherboard if possible, I know the on-board ports are not removable, but anything else like nylon mounting screws should be removed so they do not melt. Leave the board alone until it cools, or you'll run the risk of solder bridges caused by spill-overs.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 23 April 2010 - 03:17 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 powder_sullivan

powder_sullivan

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:48 PM

Strange as it seems to some people reading the advice offered above, this proceedure does work!

It works with expansion cards as well!

If the oven proceedure is used, just make sure you remove any plastic parts from the motherboard if possible, I know the on-board ports are not removable, but anything else like nylon mounting screws should be removed so they do not melt. Leave the board alone until it cools, or you'll run the risk of solder bridges caused by spill-overs.

Hmmm, if all you're trying to do is remelt the solder...why not do it manually instead of heating up the whole mobo?

#10 Jay18

Jay18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:20 PM

I was wondering the same thing...I may try that instead, unless I hear a good reason not to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users