Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE & OE not responding

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ggb

ggb

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 25 September 2005 - 01:04 AM

I was advised to uninstall/reinstall IE & OE because from time to time I get "not responding" message. I run XP Pro SP2 but can find only IE 6 SP1. Do I use the SP1 and does it include OE? Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 25 September 2005 - 06:55 AM

6.1a is the latest (except for the patches) from MicroSoft. Have you tried to update thru Windows update?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 06:56 AM

Does OE SP1 open?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 07:07 AM

I was advised to uninstall/reinstall IE & OE because from time to time I get "not responding" message. I run XP Pro SP2 but can find only IE 6 SP1. Do I use the SP1 and does it include OE? Thanks in advance

Windows XP SP Critical Upgrade includes critical updates for Outlook Express.

To get Outlook Express, you need to download Internet Explorer. Please visit the Internet Explorer Web site.

Windows XP Users: Get the new Outlook Express Security enhancements with Windows XP SP2.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/oe/

Microsoft Knowledge Base support section includes a tool that allows you to search our extensive database of articles on Outlook Express.
http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

Edited by Enthusiast, 25 September 2005 - 07:08 AM.

#5 ggb

ggb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 08:15 PM

Sorry, by the time I browsed through pages and pages of info am totally confused. I have XP Pro SP2. All scans and updates done. Can find IE 6 with SP1 but I have SP2. Do I download IE6 SP1 and use it? What happens to the SP2 I have now?

#6 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 25 September 2005 - 09:10 PM

Have you ever tried Mozilla Firefox?

That could solve a lot of your problems because firefox dosn't have that many problems with it. I did use IE but i got tried of all of the problems that it had and i switch and I have NOT had any problems yet.

#7 ggb

ggb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:24 PM

Thank you all for the advice. It got so bad am having the PC reformatted.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:35 PM

Depending on how large your hard drive is you may want to make a second partition to put your creative data, pictures, and other non replaceable data. In the future if you have to reinstall you won't loose your data. The thing with that is to remember to save your data to the second partition. You keep the programs you can reinstall on the C:\ drive with your OS.
Just a thought.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:21 PM

If you haven't reformatted yet, try the following procedures from Microsoft to repair IE and OE:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/commun...s/oerepair.mspx

Edited by Enthusiast, 26 September 2005 - 09:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users