Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer name is reset to blank,MBR.exe says mbr infected

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 C. V. Stancampiano

C. V. Stancampiano

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:12 AM

System: Dell XPS410 with WinXP Home SP3 2G RAM, 500GB HD. McAfee Security. All user accounts have admin rights. Wireless ASUS network adapter. LinkSys router. Used at home for income tax prep business so lots of personal/client info on this machine.

Original problems several weeks ago:
At bootup a DOS 16-bit subsystem error box appears. NTVDM error c0h.
command.com does not work and gives an error box c0h. Using cmd works.
Google and Yahoo redirects to malicious sites in IE8 and Firefox.
Questionable HelpAssistant user directory under Documents and Settings contains many MSOffice data files not intentionally stored there.
Every hour or two the system freezes (mouse works, but applications do not respond), then system emits continuous beep. Forced shutdown required. No freeze in safe mode.

Actions Taken:
GMER will not run to completion (freeze or blue screen).
mbr.exe says to run mbr /f to fix
All other scans say nothing is wrong (many AV programs used!)
2 weeks of Dell software support says that since they removed ad tracking cookies and ran MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware that nothing is infecting the system.
System passes Dell hardware diagnostics.
Dell analyzes with HijackThis, Autoruns and Dial-a-Fix and I have no idea what they removed.
mbr -f runs.
Recovery console used to run FIXMBR.

Things Improved:
FIXMBR got rid of NTVDM error box. Command.com works now.
HelpAssistant directory removed.
Redirects are gone.

Main Problems Now:
mbr.exe says there is still malicious code in mbr. FIXMBR does not remove this.
Long delay 20s between appearance of desktop after boot and running of ASUS wireless app and SuperAntiSpyware splash screen is suspicious.
Computer name keeps getting reset to blank and then DNS resolution fails (you can ping IP but not domain names like google.com etc.). If you set it to the correct name, it will ask for reboot (normal) and then asks to reboot again at which time the name is set to blank again. I believe registry entries for computer name are being changed. System properties shows computer name as just a dot "." instead of "DESKTOP.". In cmd window, echo %computername% shows correct name.

Help needed:
1) I need to make the mbr happy. Don't care about Dell restore partition or Dell utilities partition.
2) What keeps changing the computer name to blank? There is very little info on this behavior.

Thanks all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:28 AM

We need a deeper look. Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
Since Gmer won't run,skip it and mpost your mbr log.
Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 C. V. Stancampiano

C. V. Stancampiano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:05 PM

Hi,
Thanks for helping. I have posted the required logs in the forum you suggested. Tried GMER again but got blue screen again. Title of post is the same as my original one.
Charlie

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:35 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/312100/computer-name-is-reset-to-blankmbrexe-says-mbr-infected-dell-says-malware-removed-but-still/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users