Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back up Vista OS - no disks with new computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CShirey

CShirey

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:45 AM

Hello,

I need to create a back up of the Vista operating system that came on one of my ex's computers. He "thinks" he wants to go back to Windows XP and regardless, it is always best to have a back up of the OS.

I've seen Acronis True Image suggested elsewhere but that is $50 and the money just isn't available right now.

He doesn't know where any of the documentation is so how do I find the key? I remember hearing that it can be found in the registry but at the time I was working on something else and forgot to note it. This is a certified copy of Vista.

I actually need to do the same thing for my OS - which is Windows XP Media Version. I just moved and can not find the documentation but I do know that there were not any system disks with the PC and, frankly, I'd hate to lose all the Microsoft Updates! This is also a certified copy of Windows XP.

I checked the tutorials but didn't see anything that pertained; maybe I was in the wrong place.

Thank you for any and all assistance! Tonight is his bowling night :huh: so I get to work there in peace!!!

cs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:21 PM

You can use the trial version of Acronis to make a full system image of a system. You don't need the paid version. The trial version is good for a month, I believe.

As for retrieving the product key: ProduKey

If you do a clean install of any operating system, you will have to redownload all the updates. But if you don't have an XP disk, a clean install might be difficult... :huh:

How to replace Microsoft software
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:30 PM

You could also clone the existing drive to another drive...as an easy way of backing up.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users