Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't see or remove avpu.dll.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ulao

ulao

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:49 PM

AVG free reports "Virus detected while opening file C:windowssystem32avpu32.dll. TROJAN HORSE BACKDOOR.GENERIC.NIL. I have Windows XP sp2.
Regular virus scans miss it but this message comes up when I start an application. Not always the same application and not every time. I cannot see the file with My Computer. Show hidden files is checked. Hide protected operating system files is not checked. Cannot see the file from command line even in safe mode. My virus definition files are up to date. :thumbsup: Sure would appreciate some help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pacman123

pacman123

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 02:45 PM

Hi ulao take a look here might help..........

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/a....dll-12293.html

#3 ulao

ulao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 02:53 AM

Thanks Pacman, I've been there but I went over it again. The problem is that it dosn't show up anywhere. Not in processes, not in Autoruns. what I did was create a file named avpu32.dll then copied it to c:windowssystem32 from the command line. That seems to have worked. I haven't had a problem since. I searched my registry for "avpu32" found a bunch of them. I have no experience editing the registry so I want to go slowly here. Btw I still can't see the file. I know it's there because the command line said the file copied sucessfuly. I still want to find out how the blazes they hide that file and how I can get to it.

#4 pacman123

pacman123

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:02 AM

Hi ulao guess you've been here.............

http://www.iopus.com/guides/find-hidden-files.htm

just a thought could the file be in your system restore.?

#5 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:05 AM

See if the following is checked.

Explorer
Tools
Folder Options
View Tab
Scroll down to hidden files and folders and make sure only show hidden files and folders is checked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users