Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Re-installing Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 madman666

madman666

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:12 PM

My friend's computer has been used and abused. It was a family computer and they had little to no knowledge about basic upkeep for a computer. :huh: One day the system finally crapped out so I said I'd take a look at it. Upon cracking it open everything was caked in dust. It took me a long while to clean it out. Around 4 cans of compressed air later I took his hard drive out and put in my desktop to back up the family files before formatting the drive and attempting to reinstall the os. When I boot the computer I am met with a dialog screen that says choose cd-rom boot type. There is a 1. and a 2. with no descriptions for either. When I press option 1 i get a screen that says press any key to boot from cd which I do because I have a Vista disk in the drive. It takes me to the install screen and I go through the install with no problems. That is until it gets to the point where it needs to restart in order to finish the install. After restarting it gives me the two options again. Pressing 1 again starts the install all over again, pressing 2 give me an os choice but the os fails to start because the install isn't finished. So I am effectively unable to install the os because I don't know what to do after is restarts to finish the install. :huh:

His computer is a stock Gateway GT5404 desktop. It had Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit on it before and I have an extra disk I never used of the same os from which I am trying to do the install.

Any help would be much appreciated. :huh:

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:21 PM

Remove the CD from the Drive and try it again after it installs.

#3 madman666

madman666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:23 PM

ok just to get it straight: go through the install like normal then when take the cd out after the reboot... should I choose option 1 or 2?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:23 PM

After the reboot.

#5 madman666

madman666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:31 PM

i'm sorry that was a typo. i meant after the reboot and taking the cd out of the drive should i go with option 1 or 2?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:39 PM

It shouldnt give you an option after you install it.

Unless in your BIOS you have the CD as the first boot device.

#7 madman666

madman666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:06 AM

hrm... how would i get into the bios to check and or change that setting? the option 1 or 2 thing is the first thing it shows when i turn it on.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:09 AM

Common keys are DEL, F10, F12, F2, and what not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users