Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost.exe using lots of CPU time

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Zmaz

Zmaz

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:33 PM

I was browsing around in Process Explorer today, and I found that some instances of svchost.exe were taking up a lot of CPU cycles. I went into the list of threads, and here's what appear to be taking up a lot of time:

(These are all under one instance of svchost.exe)
ADVAPI32.dll!LogonUserExExW+0x12d -- constantly around 2,000,000 Cycles Delta
ntdll.dll!RtlDecodePointer+0x9b -- varies, sometimes uses none, but can get into 10,000's Cycles Delta
mmcss.dll!ServiceMain+0x9c8 -- varies, sometimes uses none, but can get into 10,000's Cycles Delta
At one point, this instance of svchost was using about 100-200 MB of RAM, but I did some sleuthing and deleted the registry keys related to zip files, and this brought down the RAM usage to about 20 MB. Still high CPU though.

(These are another instance of svchost.exe)
The same ADVAPI32.dll process as above -- Cycles Delta varies rapidly, but can get above 10,000,000 for short periods of time
The same ntdll.dll -- Cycles Delta generally in the 10,000's
pcasvc.dll!SvchostPushServiceGlobals+0103f -- Pretty low, can get up to around 30,000
Altogether, this instance of svchost uses about 80 MB of RAM.

Other possibly notable things in Process Explorer:
Hardware Interrupts and DPC's sometimes get up to about 1% CPU usage each.
Many of my processes have a lot(?) of page faults, many in the 10,000's and a few in the 100,000's.

So, is this normal, or is there anything possibly indicating a hardware or software problem of some sort?
My OS/RAM/CPU specs are:
Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 32-bit
4 GB RAM
Phenom II X4 940

Please let me know if any other information would be useful. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:22 PM

Can you run some scans: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php and http://www.superantispyware.com. Post the results here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users