Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help getting BSODs

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 manzoor10

manzoor10

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:12 PM

I have been getting too many BSODs lately which makes it difficult to boot into XP and make any changes. I believe this is due to malware (may be a rootkit).
I did complete crash memory dumps and then tried to debug the cause of the crash using WinDbg, but couldn't figure it out. Should I post the crash dump information from WinDbg here?

I'm unable to use Recovery Console, because it doesn't recognizes the password and I can't make the registry change which suppresses password prompt because I'm unable to start the OS. When I try Safe Mode it freezes at Mup.sys. So can't access Safe Mode too.

When I get those BSODs the drivers identified in the crash are of these
spao.sys
spmy.sys
spgy.sys
spol.sys
spcs.sys
spss.sys
spku.sys
spqp.sys
sprq.sys
spps.sys
In my PC, there was a service named SSHNAS, I searched it on Google and it seems like its a trojan. Also, whenever the Windows Logon dialog appears (at bootup) sometimes the label and button text are missing and when I hover over them they appear back.

I ran Memtest86 and no problems were found. My PC specs are Intel Pentium D 2.66Ghz, 512 MB RAM, D865GSA board. I'm using Windows XP Professional SP3.

Please help me out, what else should I try?

EDIT: I booted into Windows and change the registry entry for Recovery Console password prompt. Now I can use the Recovery Console.

Edited by manzoor10, 22 April 2010 - 09:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users