Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Certain Web sites wont give access, Ip/Proxy problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wakawaka

wakawaka

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:56 PM

Hello, this is my first post so I'm not sure if this is the right section and I apologize if it is not.

I've been having trouble watching videos on Hulu lately and logging on to some other sites, and each time I try it would give me a message about base on my IP address they've determined that I'm using a proxy tool or web anonymizer and that their service is only available in the US. The problem is, my proxy setting has always been off on all my browser, and that I live in the United State, state of Louisiana to be specific. My internet service provider is COX. My IP based on stayinvinsible.com is 68.11.39.27, which clearly states the general region of where I live. I also would like to note that I've never seen or heard anything about proxy/proxies until now, so I assumed I'm not using a proxy program on purpose.

System: I am currently running on Window Vista Home Basic. ( If more info is required please tell me I can give hijackthis log, dxdiag log and Malwarebytes log.) Browser is latest version, everything else is window updated, my modem software are already up to date.

Solution that I've tried: (Some are from the the technical support from their sites which tells me to try different browser, delete temp files, allow cookies and contact ISP not in that exact order) My browser includes Internet explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome. I've deleted temp files, set cookies to always allow and untick the use proxy settings on my browsers, except the HTTP 1.1 proxy button on internet explorer option because I'm unsure what it does. When I called and talk to my ISP tech support ( about 2-3 times) they say that their service doesn't use a proxy and that from what they see my internet service is running correctly ( after a few modem resets and testings). I've also called Microsoft for support but they offer to charge me money to fix ( some ridiculous price I don't remember). Then I call my manufacture Dell and they told me it was a software problem ( though they wont tell me what it is) and they offer to fix it for 87$ + tax, which is 97$.

When this started happened : Somewhere between the 12-22 ( 22 being the day I post this).

Please help me, I don't want to pay 100$ because I'm poor :thumbsup: Although, I'll donate to this forum if there's a donate button, how bout a shiny new 10$ dollars?

Edited by wakawaka, 22 April 2010 - 08:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:34 AM

Your IP address 68.11.39.27 is listed as a SOCKS4 proxy in many open proxy lists over the internet.
Your IP address is also listed in at least 3 DNSBL (DNS based Black Lists for known spammer IP addresses).
You should contact your ISP.

Edited by Romeo29, 23 April 2010 - 05:40 AM.

#3 wakawaka

wakawaka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:03 PM

I called them, but I had a hard time explaining things about socks4 and DNS black lists and I guess the technical support lady never understood me completely. I think the conversation died when she kept on repeating something like "we can't give out ip addresses". Is there any special words or phrases I should use during the conversation?

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:31 AM

Well, I have never been in this situation.

Just tell them that your IP address is listed in many spammer lists and because of this you cannot use the internet properly. Tell them that you suspect the person to whom this IP address was allotted previously was using it for spamming. And because of this some sites have blocked your IP address. Ask them if they can change your IP address.

If all goes well, and they think it is a good enough reason, then they will change it. Good luck.

#5 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:39 AM

It also might help when you are talking to technical non support that if you get another script reader who hasn't a clue about technical issues other than how to read a script, to politely tell her that since she seems to be having trouble understanding the issue could you please talk to a level 2 tech or engineer.

BTW that works with Dell and Microsoft as well. While the front line techs CAN answer most questions, they really are just reading from a script so when a circumstance arises that is not covered by the script they are lost. They won't OFFER to connect you with an actual tech because that would make them look bad in their job reviews.........

#6 wakawaka

wakawaka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:45 PM

Well, I called them again today and told them about my IP being in in spammer lists and about changing my IP. All I got out of that was that they can't change IP addresses, its generated by their system and there's nothing else they can do. They also mention something about my firewall which I think was blind guessing since I'm using system recommended settings. So apparently now i'm stuck, there's nothing I can do. Although I believe he said something about the IP is generated depending on my sysem, so I wonder if I upgrade to window 7 it would do anything to my IP, which I also doubt. Or maybe if I use my spare modem that I got.

Thank you for your help guys, but I guess there's things that can't be fix. I do appreciate the effort though.

Edited by wakawaka, 24 April 2010 - 01:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users