Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Someone is sending emails out with my email address PLEASE HELP!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Milton Luban

Milton Luban

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:55 PM

Can someone help me to stop this! Someone sends out emails to my contacts with my email address as if it's me doing it, and in the body of the email they are advertising there website and the products they sell, so I guess they stold my email contact and in some way sends there emails as if it's me doing it cause it comes from my email address. How do I stop this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:33 PM

Sounds like email spoofing, IMO.

Spoofed Email

Louis

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:10 AM

What do you use for mail?
spoofing your from: address can happen without compromise to your account, but sending to your contact list usually means the computer you use for mail has been compromised by malware of some sort. Rootkits and parts of koobface seem the most popular lately and hotmail has had a problem recently.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Malware-Res...gs-137294.shtml

Change your email account password asap. The one at your ISP's mail server or webmail provider.

Tell us what you use for mail and we can steer you towards more specific info.

You should also download and run malwarebytes and superantispyware and see what shows up. If you have a malware problem you can post it in the "am I infected" forum and get more specialized help.

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 23 April 2010 - 08:12 AM.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:47 PM

Hello,

I've had something similar happen, and I didn't even HAVE a computer at the time. What happens is if your e-mail address has been posted on a website spambots will harvest that e-mail address to both spam you and to send spam using your e-mail address. It is also possible that one of your e-mail contacts has a compromised computer and a spambot got your e-mail address that way.

The only real way to resolve this is to change the user name of your e-mail address, and change it to something that's not common. Then, don't post your e-mail address on websites, list-serves, etc.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Milton Luban

Milton Luban
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:42 PM

I use Hotmail, and have used it for years! I can change my password, but I need to keep my hotmail account.

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:58 PM

well as Orange Blossom said:

The only real way to resolve this is to change the user name of your e-mail address, and change it to something that's not common. Then, don't post your e-mail address on websites, list-serves, etc.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users