Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Happy Earth Day!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RustyHavoc

RustyHavoc

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:12 PM

Happy Earth Day everyone! Anybody do something Eco friendly today?

I volunteered handing out reusable bags and organic tea for two hours. :thumbsup:
HP Pavilion dv4, AMD Turion™ X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-75 2.20 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 218 GB HDD, ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, Internet Explorer 9, gmail, avast! 6, Malwarebytes, SpywareBlaster

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:11 PM

My all the pagans rejoice and sacrifice a virgin at midnight lol.

I recycled 200 bucks worth of copper, aluminum, and steel, planted a butterfly garden, and sent my 8 year old daughter to school wearing green today. Does any of that count?

#3 RustyHavoc

RustyHavoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:38 PM

Sounds great to me! Some day I would like to plant a few vegetables. The idea of growing your own food is pretty cool! :thumbsup:
HP Pavilion dv4, AMD Turion™ X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-75 2.20 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 218 GB HDD, ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, Internet Explorer 9, gmail, avast! 6, Malwarebytes, SpywareBlaster

#4 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:11 PM

You ought to try a topsy turvy tomato planter. I wouldn't order them from that site as you can get them at home depot for $9.00 instead of the 19.99 on that site but it's not a bad idea. I haven't seen that "brand" before but the idea is nothing new. I saw a "homemade" version at a buddies house more than 5 years ago. He had a garden, it's just that the tomatoes grew better that way than in the garden. He took some regular hanging plant pots and put tomatoes in them so they grew out of the hole in the bottom.

I started the seeds for my veggie garden last Saturday but I haven't planted it yet, i have two tomato plants going though in a front yard flower garden along with spinach and lettuce. I have been toying with the idea of getting one of those topsy turvy things since they were so cheap lol, just to see if they worked like my friends did. Now that I'm "recommended" it I think I will. One can NEVER have too many tomato plants............

I'm by no means a "tree hugger" but I do everything I can to be mindful of our renewable resources. I use those new light bulbs, I changed out my toilets to low flow, (now that the low flow toilets can actually flush away a man sized crap lol), I compost my grass, I used cow crap in my garden for fertilizer.......... If I ever get up enough money to do the remodel I WANT to do on my house it will entail tearing the roof off because I will have to re-slope it for the extra rooms. When I do that I'm going to go a green roof. If I can find a way to do that in conjunction with solar panels I'll add them too, but I don't think we get quite enough sun for that.

#5 RustyHavoc

RustyHavoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:36 AM

That sounds awesome! My step-mom has two of those topsy turvy tomato planters. Their pretty nifty. I want to do a lot of that stuff too, but I don't own a house yet. Still going to college. Some day though. Planning on have a big garden and a lot of fruit trees. My girl friend and I want to go semi organic and instead of buying pre-made stuff, we want to make everything from scratch (ex: bread, pasta, sauces, etc.) It's amazing how much better food made from scratch can taste and on top of it, it can be pretty healthy for you!

#6 johndept1

johndept1

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:35 AM

happy earth day to you.

#7 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:20 AM

I cook almost all my food from fresh veggies. If I make spaghetti sauce, I start with tomatoes I peel and chop, not ones from a can. I don't make my own bread, but then i don't eat much bread and never white bread. Baking bread is a time consuming process, you can achieve the same results using a local bakery. But I make everything else. When I use chicken broth, it's broth I made, same with beef broth. When it comes to hamburger meat, we use Laura's Lean Beef. I use the 96% version. It costs a lot more but it contains less fat than turkey or chicken. Speaking of chicken: I never really paid much attention to chicken before, but now that i have, we are starting to use only organic chicken. I have an 8 year old daughter. I don't want her spouting double d boobs and starting her period when she is 10 because she's eating all those growth hormone laden chicken products. I cook a lot of fish but NEVER fish from Asia.

I don't believe the "organic" label that big grocery stores put on their veggies though. There isn't enough regulation and what there is is vague. Farmer Joe has a bazillion acres and he goes "organic" on a few hundred and then everything from his farm gets the organic label. You can find true organic grocers and meats through this website, organic.org. Things cost a little more but how much food does the average household toss anyway? Buy what you will eat and don't throw any away and it will make up for the extra cost.

Like I said, I'm not a radical treehugger, but it just makes sense to do what you can. As I have gotten older I have learned more about the way they do things now. There were never these big meat recalls for E.Coli and such when I was young. There were actual butchers in the grocery store who cut the stuff up, not some big centralized mass produced chopping block.

I found some good ideas from these two site, Treehugger.com and planet green. I've just reade the articles, i haven't ventured to their forums. I'm sure there are some severe nut cases on their forums lol. What I am looking for is a cartoon about meat processing that was pretty funny. i can't remember the name and I can't find it now.

I need to get a website going called "How to go green without being a nutcase" lol.

#8 johndept1

johndept1

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:47 AM

happy easter day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users