Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

continuous problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mthorn62

mthorn62

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:04 PM

I have an old computer that was givin to me by a several years ago and just recently a good friend of mine was wanting a computer that he could play his games on (the computer he had wouldn't accept his games), he was using a very old system, so i told him i would dust off this older computer of mine and see if i could make him a good gaming computer. this is a pentium 4, 2.8 ghz. ddr 400. so i installed 3 (1gb) pc2700 sdram chips, a pioneer dvr r/rw, and a 320 gb hdd, and a gforce 6600 gt graphics card. iv'e had problems ever since. such as messages like ntldr is missing, then i change my bios so that i boot off of cd rom and install windows xp, then i get this message IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL_TO. so then, i went in to his bios and changed his primary boot to the cd rom drive so i could just install windows xp onto his hard drive. while in the installation process i get this message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer ex this screen appears again follow these steps to check for viruses, remove any newly installed hard drives
Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated

stop: oxoooooo7B (Oxf8COF528, 0xCOOOOO34, 0X00000000, 0x00000000)

not knowing what that meant, i took his hard drive and hooked it to my computer and it reconfigured to my system and, after using the complete format option, i was able to install windows xp onto his hard drive (this told me that the wd 320 gb hd that i purchased was good). after that, i put his hard drive back on his computer thinking it should load up windows xp, but instead when it boots up, it goes to safe mode screen. and then reboots. if i hit safe mode, it brings up a bunch of files and then the sys reboots. no matter what option i pick, it brings up these files and then the system reboots. it does this continuously, it just cycles around. if i just leave it alone, it will boot up, then go to safe mode for a few seconds, then reboot again, over and over. can anyone help me with this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:21 PM

did you test the memory with memtest?
i would start there.
test each stick individually first then just 2 sticks then 3.
some DDR motherboards like to run memory in matching pairs.
you may need to do a fresh install of xp with the drive attached to the motherboard it will be running from.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:27 PM

You might try taking the hard drive back out-putting it in your system-and then boot up off of the windows xp disc to windows recovery, and run chkdsk. Most of the time that error refers to a bad boot sector, bad/incompatible hardware, or a driver issue. if it is a bad boot sector chkdsk will fix it (though if it boots up off your system thats probably not it, but it wouldnt hurt to check) I would also like meuchel suggested, run memtest, as that could cause it, but also go online to the motherboard manufacturers website and check and make sure the memory is compatible with that board. You might also try putting the old memory in and seeing if that fixes the problem.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 mthorn62

mthorn62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:24 AM

thank you all for your response. i did two things which fixed the problem. i did a complete format from the dos prompt, then did a fresh install as said. during this process i took out one of the mem cards (there were 3 1g mem cards installed) which took it from 133 at 3 gigs to ddr400 at 2 gigs. this solved my auto reboot problem. the system just likes running ddr 400. so, yes, this system prefers cards in pairs. thanx again.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:06 PM

thank you all for your response. i did two things which fixed the problem. i did a complete format from the dos prompt, then did a fresh install as said. during this process i took out one of the mem cards (there were 3 1g mem cards installed) which took it from 133 at 3 gigs to ddr400 at 2 gigs. this solved my auto reboot problem. the system just likes running ddr 400. so, yes, this system prefers cards in pairs. thanx again.

See you came to the right place to get the best and correct answers.

We're glad you joined the BC membership mthorn62! :thumbsup:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users