Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

jcsb.dat 61Gb fragment !!!!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:39 PM

When this machine was turned off last night, I had 61GB of freespace. The HDD was clean. No virus with latest updates with AVG. CCleaner had removed all temp files. Defraggler had been run 7 times and I had got the fragmented files down to a measely 1.5Gb and 1 file.

I am at a loss to understand how, when my friend started his computer this morning, that the HDD is obliterated with a 60GB fragmented file. Namely, Windows\system32\jcsb.DAT.

Please can someone help me with this. I am at the point where it would seem I have to Format the harddrive and start from scratch. Has anyone got some clues to help me sort this please?

:thumbsup:
A long suffering MS user

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:54 PM

Hi -

Have you run Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware - This can be the result of a Rouge Infection still in your system -
Your AVG "may" detect it but, most likely, will not remove it -

Thank You - :thumbsup:

#3 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:01 PM

Thanks and no I haven't. What is Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware, and where do I find them
A long suffering MS user

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:07 PM

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

http://www.superantispyware.com

#5 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:12 PM

Many thanks. Doing it now. Much appreciated
A long suffering MS user

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:14 PM

In your last post HERE you said you were removing Windows\system32\jcsb.DAT ?? -
This may have also caused a problem -
Please Add to your topics rather than start a new one if they are related - It can confuse the helpers and they do not have the back ground on the problem that is ongoing

Thank You -

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:20 PM

If this topic is being looked at in Am I Infected Area then I think it should stay there -

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:24 PM

Edited last post in this thread to add this topic as a continuation. If this needs to be merged I can do the clean up and merge to keep it all together.

Lets see if the member comes back with malware in the scans before determining which forum.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:04 PM

Hi guys, started a new thread, because, I had thought the original matter had been resolved, and as I got through each additional problem item, started a new topic because I believed that was what was expected of me by rules of forums. I'm happy to place my topics/continue topics as directed, but appreciate some help developing appropriate habits of forum use. I am new to this. So, thanks for your patience.

Having downloaded and installed both suggested programs, run them, and both concluded no infection.

I rebooted the computer, and now the jcsb.dat file is only 57kb, and the previously 61GB mass fragmentation has disappeared, and the hard drive is now showing nly 1.7GB of fragmentation.

I'm now deeply frustrated.

What on earth could cause this random happening. Please note. The network connections are always disabled prior to shutdown. The internet connection is via a Thomson wireless ADSL router supplied by the ISP. On start up I have carefully ensured only 40 odd processes start.
A long suffering MS user

#10 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:14 PM

Just ran defraggler again. The result says, 1 fragmented file of 1.5GB. Total fragments 620. And 11% fragmentation. Which is what was shown before I shut down last night. Under the File List Tab, top item is Filename = pagefile.sys; fragments = 620; Size 1,572,068 KB. There are other files listed below this but obviously too small to be registered on the main window
A long suffering MS user

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:29 PM

Have you done the malware scans?

#12 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:54 PM

Sorry, yes, I mentioned that in my second most recent post. Ran both antimalware programs as suggested which found no infections, except 15 tracking cookies which I remoed.
A long suffering MS user

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users