Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Part of Windows XP now in Slovak???

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Heather580

Heather580

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:25 PM

Hi,
I had a recent issue with a re-direction problem in IE & Firefox. I ended up doing a full restore. That has worked really well and I'm back in business.... with one exception. A few of Windows screens are in Slovak ( at least Google translate is telling me that). In the control panel 3 icons have that generic icon and the tags are in Slovak. They are 'Wireless Network', 'Network setup Wizard' and 'Device manager' (again if Google is translating correctly... but it sounds about right). If I go into System just the Hardware tab & it's screens are in Slovak. Also some messages like when I go to download something that little screen (save/cancel) is also not in English.

I have never installed any MUI's in windows. I did enough reading on on the web to find the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MUI directory and sure enough there are sub-directories for 0409 (English) 0424(Slovak) & 041b (Slovenian).
I have gone into the regional & languages settings and reset it a few times ( I flipped between US English & Canadian English.... I think I understand those of you from the U.S.A. :thumbsup: ). But that doesn't seem to do the trick.

I did see some references on the web about some language installs being "localized" and some relation to unicode??
Googling "uninstall MUI language XP" and other variations are not leading me to anything obvious.

Oh.... Dell dimension 5150, Windows XP home edition, McAfee anti-virus (urggg!)
Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:30 PM

Hi Heather. It appears that you have inadvertently installed a Language Interface Pack. Try these :

- Do you see any LIP (Language Interface Pack) on Control Panel ->Add/Remove Programs list ? If yes then uninstall it.

- Search your computer for LIPSETUP.MSI and run it. The installation wizard will appear with an option to remove the existing Interface Pack. Select remove and you will be guided through the un-installation process.

If you do not find the LIPSetup.MSI. Then you can download it from Microsoft web site. Click on Language Offerings.

#3 Heather580

Heather580
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:03 PM

Hi,
Nothing in the control panel & lipsetup in nowhere to be found on my pc. I search Microsoft and understandably I couldn't find an English version, so it was had to know what I was downloading. It tried the Slovak version, but it failed to install with a message which I believe stated you had to have the Czech version of Windows to start with. I looked at the North American languages and Spanish wasn't available for XP home. So I tried Inuktitut with the hopes it could load on top of English Windows, but I got a message that it would not load with no explanation.
Many sites seem to have versions to download, but who do you trust. As well, it is often not clear what language or windows version the download is for.
Not sure what to do next....

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:25 PM

If you have already downloaded Slovak version, right click on lipsetup.msi and select Uninstall.

Use this software and see if it shows some hidden LIP Uninstaller : http://www.foxplanet.de/uninstmgr/

#5 Heather580

Heather580
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:01 PM

Hi,
None of those lipsetup.msi programs would install. I loaded the downloaded & installed the uninstall manager and there was one hidden window hot fix KB897338. I looked it up on the Microsoft website & it does have to do with languages. I uninstalled & rebooted. No change.
I searched Microsoft again for "Slovak language" and there was a patch for sp2, but it had to do with fully loading the language which I didn't want to do. But it got me think about sp2 & if it was up to date. I see it is no longer support as of this July, so I thought I better update to SP3 & hope it fixes my language issue.
Surprise, Surprise it actually did. :thumbsup:
Well.....there is one icon still labeled in Slovak "Centrum zabezpecenia" or "Security Center" but when you run it the screens are in English.
I can live with the one icon label.
Thanks again for your help!
Heather

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:56 AM

Congratulations Heather, you did it :thumbsup: